Sign in to follow this  
arty-rc

Laptop or Desktop

I made a post yesterday about my hard drive going bad and am wondering which way to go. Do I get a new hard drive, going through all the BS getting all the software and hardware working, including buying a windows program to get a 10 year old desktop working, or just buy a new unit? I have been thinking of upgrading for a while now so, what are your opinions on either a desktop or laptop? I do have an older XP desktop that I can get going but it's an 80gb hard drive 2gb ram unit that is so slow. All opinions are welcomed. Thanks.  

New. Lost 3 or 4 drives in the last 2 years on old pcs which is 2 he I finally bought a new pc past fall. Part 2 is either learning windows 8 or having it downgraded to 7pro. I'm using 8 but still on the fence whether or not to downgrade.

New...putting a new drive into 10 year old hardware is taking a big chance.

Prices are good now on Win 7 desktops....

while you are at it get a 1 or 2 TB back-up drive for peace of mind.

Sue2

I have ran a used desk top with xp pro for 6 years without a hiccup but you never know. I bought a new laptop with windows 8 for web surffing and it crashed within a year. So old or new it could go any time.

If it's going to be sitting in one place go with a desktop. You can usually get them cheaper and with faster processors. 

I bought a 'refurbished' Win 7 desktop from Tiger, for about the price as the XP > 7 upgrade disc cost. Shipping the disc was going to be $9.00, shipping the desktop was $12.75. Glad I did, later found out my printer won't play with Win 7.

I prefer desktops because I know how to put them together, upgrade components, and tear them apart if something goes wrong. Laptops are great for their portability, but I'm scared to do more than upgrade the ram or hard drive in them.

A desktop of the same spec will always blow away the laptop. Too may sacrifices made to cram them in the portable case imho

Just the video card in my desktop is bigger than most notebook computers.

• Like 2

I do %90 of my work on my laptop.. I also have like 5 desktops.. I have a machine just for my cutter alone :)

• Like 1