hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to us cutter and all! well i think i want to start this vinyl stuff and give it a try. any tips of advice? I'm thinking about getting them us cutter SC series 24" that comes with the sure cuts a lot pro software. will that work? do i need to upgrade or purchase a different software? All advice is helpful. maybe not critical a dive.. i don't want my feelings hurt on something i want to try ;D

2 of the best software programs are free, try sign blazer and inkscape, inkscape works purty good for vectorizing. sign blazer has its merits as well. Oh ya,  Welcome.

Donn

Under software discussion and support there will be a sign blazer section, there you will find a link to download. US cutter website has a download as well.

Your most cost effective way to move on a mac would probably be to use the Inkscape for design and then cut with the SCALP (sure cuts a lot) that comes with the cutters nowadays. SCALP is kinda so-so but will get you by to start with. The design side of it is pretty screwy in opinion but Inscape is a solid program and totally open source free. If you get more heavily invested and decide you want to move up the chain you can get into some other options but they will cost you money. You are going to have to invest some time and money to learn the design side of this stuff so my suggestion would be to spend it learning Inscape rather than SCALP. 

Another option would be to get the Illustrator CS2 download. Adobe put it up for grabs with the intent that people who still had copies of the old program could use it for re-installing etc... not other support offered for it but you can grab it from their site and an activation code. I keep a copy on my computer at work. Illustrator is a tough program to learn so if you go that route you may invest more time up front in the learning curve. Worth the time to learn but a lot of people find it hard to get figured out. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way but that's after no small investment to learn the program.