iamandy

What tape do I need?

I inherited this obsession for vinyl from a friend who handed down a ton of vinyl and transfer tape. Here I am nearing the end of my transfer tape stock and I am looking to purchase some more. I know I want clear tape, but there are a handful of different types to choose from; how do I know which one is right for me? Any guidance?

Yes, paper tape is the way to go.. 

So you suggest paper tape unless I have a multi layer?

I use paper for nearly everything. Clear seems to cause more trouble than it's worth.

I only use rtape.  for layering I use a light table, no need for clear.

• Like 2

Yes, I do.    I buy in different sizes.   I keep 30" 24" 18" 15" 12" and 6"   for the jobs I do.     I purchase a 48" log and my vendor slits it for Free.  

Except, I buy Main Perfect Tear paper tape.   

I only use rtape.  for layering I use a light table, no need for clear.

Me To

Yes, I do.    I buy in different sizes.   I keep 30" 24" 18" 15" 12" and 6"   for the jobs I do.  

I Keep 24,15,12,8,6 in stock for different jobs!

I have (1) 8" roll of clear for RTA but I prefer to use tape for that too unless they requests the clear.

Yeah I got a 6" roll of clear and it's a headache. It won't let go of the sticker when trying to apply it. Now I have 6, 12, 18, 24, and 36 inch paper tape. I used Briteline

A good clear tape is R Tape AT-75. Oracal HT-55 is my paper tape of choice.

Yes, I do.    I buy in different sizes.   I keep 30" 24" 18" 15" 12" and 6"   for the jobs I do.     I purchase a 48" log and my vendor slits it for Free.  

Who is this vendor? Do they slit vinyl for free too?

I use4076RLA for anything leaving the shop but I have started using the greenstar tape in house and other than the fact it doesn't stick to the liner it's not a bad tape and a lot cheaper than the 4076RLA

Most of us have a general consensus that paper is best. I do keep a little clear on hand for certain applications and the link given in post #2 is the stuff to use,. I buy medium tack clear choice and it is well liked by the crafty ladies that occasionally have me build wall and craft decals for them. Seems to pull the vinyl up without any issue and comes off the applied product easy also.

I second the motion for 4076 RLA, great stuff! But like most here I have rolls of all kinds of stuff sometimes just to try it out. The house paper from Greenstar is ok if you learn how to use it and I keep a 12" roll around just for smaller decals. The only issue I have with the house tape is that due to weird edge scrunches it doesn't lay out flat when applying the vinyl to it so you have to be really careful. (that's not a typo, lay the app tape out upside down and apply the graphic to it for great wrinkle free results)

Most of us have a general consensus that paper is best. I do keep a little clear on hand for certain applications and the link given in post #2 is the stuff to use,. I buy medium tack clear choice and it is well liked by the crafty ladies that occasionally have me build wall and craft decals for them. Seems to pull the vinyl up without any issue and comes off the applied product easy also.

I second the motion for 4076 RLA, great stuff! But like most here I have rolls of all kinds of stuff sometimes just to try it out. The house paper from Greenstar is ok if you learn how to use it and I keep a 12" roll around just for smaller decals. The only issue I have with the house tape is that due to weird edge scrunches it doesn't lay out flat when applying the vinyl to it so you have to be really careful. (that's not a typo, lay the app tape out upside down and apply the graphic to it for great wrinkle free results)

Last 2 rolls of Greenstar I got weren't smooshed on the ends so maybe they got past that inventory.