lilypoo

Is sign-making a male-dominated business?

Seems to be...a lot of potential customers say, "So, does your husband make signs?" and seem to think I'm just the office girl.  ;)

I wouldn't think so - one of our most successful forum members is a nice lady

• Like 3

It is not just the sign business. It's all businesses. Ignorant people assume it's a man's world. Thankfully, that is slowly changing.

It is not just the sign business. It's all businesses. Ignorant people assume it's a man's world. Thankfully, that is slowly changing.

That is so right John if a woman is involved in a very male dominated trade like construction she is dismissed as being inferior both in strenth and knowledge. There is a lady that runs a sign shop here that has a keen eye for design and layout and does a fantastic job. Even a woman that is a homemaker does not get enough credit for all they do keeping a clean house and raising children and cooking plus washing clothes doing dishes and being a taxi driver for the kids events .....it wears me out just listing what they do.

I don't know about you other "guys" but I ask my wife for advice about every day. She is far more intuitive than I am about what looks like a good placement on shirts for instance. 

• Like 3

1 thing I notice from lurking at the pro's site - some of the best and most successful are women - probably 35 percent or so but it is defiantly not all males

• Like 1

IMHO, the direct answer to the question posed in this thread's title would be yes.

• Like 1

It seems to be that men get more into it but I see more and more females putting signs up and that's ok I prefer to be on the ground anyway damn fear of heights.

• Like 1

C'mon Hatter, you know as well as I do why you're standing at the bottom of the ladder looking up.  >:D

• Like 4

C'mon Hatter, you know as well as I do why you're standing at the bottom of the ladder looking up.  >:D

Ssshhh Don't rat me out lol.

• Like 2

Aloha

here on he big island thier is only 1 woman owned and operated sign shop.

Things will be better when equality is achieved.

Aloha

here on he big island thier is only 1 woman owned and operated sign shop.

Things will be better when equality is achieved.

on the big island I need to find that single woman that owns a coffee plantation - then piss stacey off real bad so I can go there!

Behind every great Sign Guy is an even better Sign Girl saying "It's crooked"

((at least over here it's always been like that))  :)

My wife and I are a team.  I do the graphics and the plotter, she does the weeding and makes sure everything's going on right.  She also tells me when I'm wrong

• Like 4

I am a female owned business. 20+ years out of the house. Added signs about 10+ years ago. Added heat press shirts a few months ago. I have had a very nice niche in my small community for a long time and appreciate all the business trusted to me. My husband helps with some of the bigger installs. Find me on Facebook - graphics west, indiantown, Florida to see samples of my work. This forum is great. Fun to share with folks doing the same type of stuff.