express2100

One week to go.......:)

One week from today I will be picking up my new Graphtec CE6000-60 :);) I haven't been this excited in a long time guys!!! Been researching like crazy and I have a pretty good idea of which products to purchase while I am there so I will be ready to get started. I will be focusing on some wall art for my wife as I learn but hope to get into signs, banners, reg #'s, vehicle advertising, and storefront vinyl. Hoping you guys might take some time in the next week to toss some advice my way in regards to start up products and brands. Novice here so go easy. Thanks

My List:

Cutter

Software

Oracal Vinyl

App tape

Squeegees

Weeding tools

Ruler/Straight edge

Cutting mat

Marking pencils

Coraplast

Banners

Doing some wall art is a great idea to get some practice time in. I did several best friend and family vehicle jobs before I ever did one I charged for. Those I did for free were aware they were guinea pigs and after the job they then advertised for me to all their friends. It worked out great.

What software are you planning to design in? If you are trying to go on the cheap for now I would download Inkscape for free. Good program. Spend your waiting time learning to draw and trace so you don't have a new cutter setting ready to go and no designs to cut. Even if it's just text quotes it's worth getting used to manipulating things to look better than just typing something out plain. If you plan to use SCALP from USCutter you might want to reconsider and download Inkscape for free. Good program. If you are planning to purchase or cloud rent Corel or Illustrator then I would definitely recommend spending some practice time and you still might want to download a copy of Inkscape for free. Good program. Partly because it's free and because it still comes in handy one in a while. 

Congrats on the new cutter.  You're realy going to like it.  give the Flexisign programs a look, they've got versions that startout pretty reasonable and are very easy to learn.

I've had Inkscape for about a week but without knowing what does what I can't seem to grasp it. Is there training info or videos available?

I've had Inkscape for about a week but without knowing what does what I can't seem to grasp it. Is there training info or videos available?

There should be some tutorials in the help menu. I am sure there are youtube vids too. It definitely takes some time getting your head wrapped around it. All the vector programs end up with the same basic result. They all seem to go about it a little differently but in general you are preforming the same actions under different names or in some cases in different methods of achieving the same end. Here are two pics of one of my personal designs. One is the image you see as you build something in the other is what the cutter sees. 

post-20133-0-30919200-1394937728_thumb.p

post-20133-0-27339800-1394937739_thumb.p

• Like 1

Thanks Goose! And thanks for not chopping me down on my last question. I should know better than to ask questions before I hit the all mighty GOOGLE search. I have watched a couple useful YouTube vids since my last post :) It's going to take time but I'll get it.

We better keep this thread on topic for now. I am still interested in opinions on which products and brands to lean towards for my initial purchases. Also if I should expand my list at all, please let me know.

express2100, I just started using Inkscape and I thought I was going to pull my hair out(what's left of it). I watched the you tube videos and it has helped a lot. I would put the video on and start and stop it when I wanted to try something. Still learning and they are good references for coming back and watching.

Butch

As far as your list goes my recommendations would be:

Already picked a great cutter

Software - you can start with Inkscape

Other software - possibly some vector packs but they get expensive so you may want to wait and decide what your actual needs are before just buying a whole bunch

Vinyl - Oracal 651 is the best bang for the buck ad you are safe to pick up white and black for certain

App tape - you might try several types but you are always safe with any of the paper R-Tape. The ones with RLA are nice IMO

Weeding tools -  I end up settling in on a pair of sharp pointed tweezers but there are a host of options out there and taste differ.

Squeegees - I buy good quality 3M squeegees they seem to stay straight a little better. I like the 3M Gold for most applications but the Blue are nice and flexible so i keep one of those on hand too

Ruler -  Definitely need a good ruler, I have settled in with a 24.5 inch see through Fiskars which help when cutting after the app tape. I also have a long SOOPER Edge but I use it less

Cutting mat -  Buy the 36.5"x24.5" OLFA green mat or probably similar. As big as you can get without a fold in it. I also bought the 48"x 24" white cutting mat from USCutter but it says it is self healing and it's really not. The green IS self healing and stays smooth for masking your work.

Marking Pencils -  I use the water soluble marking pencils 

Coroplast and Banners -  I bought some banners thinking I would move more of those than I have so I would wait until you get an order on any substrate. 

Other things you might want -  Heat press and associated accessories to have a completely different revenue stream. You will be all set to do Heat Transfer Vinyl (HTV) with your cutter. It's easy and affordable

Good quality masking tape for application time. 3M automotive refinishing masking tape or American PG are a couple good available brands. These are going to cost you double what the cheap stuff is but no comparison.

After you get going if you find yourself doing a lot of large graphics using full width 24" wide vinyl you might consider a Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl Tool. Takes a little learning but they are awesome for taping off big jobs by yourself.

Pre-application -  I recommend some Orange citrus adhesive remover and plenty of rubbing alcohol and probably some application fluid. I have used a couple different brands of app fluid for wet apps and they seemed similar to me. I also use some methyl alcohol mixed/diluted with water as a basic cleaning solution. It comes in a tin can and you mix it yourself and is affordable to use a lot of for cleaning off grime and also after suing the orange citrus. Don't buy the squirt bottle from USCutter, most won't even work. I buy mine at Home depot and they are better quality.

OK that was a lot of info. Last thing I can think of right now. You are going to want to get set up with at least one of the wholesale suppliers in your town to buy substrate and you may need to prove to them you are a viable business. I don't know what suppliers are in your area. We have Denco Sales and Sun Supply. They will stock all sorts of substrates, vinyl, app tape and tools. Probably not as cheap as USCutter for any of it but they are close and quick and sell cast vinyl by the yard for one off jobs that require a unique color.

• Like 1

Go to youtube and search "Inkscape Tutorials' Be prepared to spend some time. There are several pages of them

Welcome man, you will love that Graphtec...i have the previous version, the CE5000-60...got it last April on clearance!!

It's been a great machine so far...well worth every penny.

Measuring devices - I recommend a self-centering tape measure and a metal ruler - I prefer the Westcott 18" with a cork backing - available at Wal-Mart for under $5.  The self-centering tape is handy for finding the center point of a window, banner or other substrate, especially if you're not good with fractions.

Weeding/Picking tools - I bought this el-cheapo set of "Test Probes" from Harbor Freight and they work surprisingly well.  I'm also a big fan of the burnishing tool from US Cutter - it's basically a wooden dowel with one end cut at an angle and sanded smooth, and a small needle sticking out of the other.  The needle end is good for picking and popping bubbles, and the smooth end is good for burnishing out the air in a bubble and I also use that end to hold down small pieces when I'm weeding away the parts around it.

Squeegees - my squeegees tend to grow legs and crawl under scraps of vinyl and waste liner and so I bought a couple 5-packs from US Cutter and keep them spread out all over my workspace so I can usually find at least one...  I put one of these handles on one of my squeegees - it makes it easier to find...

I strongly recommend RapidTac II application fluid.  You can snag a 32 oz. spray bottle on ebay for under $25 (you can get a 4 oz. spray bottle for under $9 if you want to try it first, but the 32 oz. is a better value - the 125 oz jug is an even better deal at $45, but that's a lot of app fluid).

For prepping surfaces, invest in a good ammonia-free glass cleaner and some rubbing alcohol (also used to cool down hot surfaces in the summer time), or RapidPrep - a 32 oz spray bottle runs about $19 on ebay.  I buy it in the gallon jugs for $35 and re-sell it in much smaller volume spray bottles.  I have yet to have a customer lose a decal after cleaning with RapidPrep - it strips grease, oil, silicon (Rain-X), bug gunk, etc.

And if you need some free clipart to get you started, I recommend my Are You Ready For Some Clipart thread...

And I can't pass up an opportunity to push Clean Cut Blades...  I really should buy stock in that company one of these days...

• Like 1

There should be some tutorials in the help menu. I am sure there are youtube vids too. It definitely takes some time getting your head wrapped around it. All the vector programs end up with the same basic result. They all seem to go about it a little differently but in general you are preforming the same actions under different names or in some cases in different methods of achieving the same end. Here are two pics of one of my personal designs. One is the image you see as you build something in the other is what the cutter sees. 

Thats a funny picture. seeing as I work for Caterpillar. LOL!

• Like 1

More great info guys! Thanks. I have a pretty good list now heading into my weekend spending spree...... Might be broke come Sunday :)

Whatever you spend for your cutter...be prepaired to spend another $500 or more in vinyl supplies just for starting.

I started with the basic colors, red, black, white, yellow, blue and green..and now have 2-3 shades of each plus a few metallic colors..So i have like 20 rolls of 24" wide stuff (at like $29 each) and a few rolls of 15" and 8" stuff.

And i currently only have about 6 colors of HTV siserweed for clothing..those were like $35 each.

So vinyl supplies will add up fast!!

this is such a great site. Thanks guys for the links. Couldn't ask for better info. 

Thats a funny picture. seeing as I work for Caterpillar. LOL!

I wear it on the back of my carhart jacket and get lots of attention on the jobsites.

My day job is gen manager for an earthwork company. We are not by any stretch huge but have spent several million on cat equipment so I am a fan also and got the wild hare to build that one. I'll pm it to you if you want it for personal use. 

I wear it on the back of my carhart jacket and get lots of attention on the jobsites.

My day job is gen manager for an earthwork company. We are not by any stretch huge but have spent several million on cat equipment so I am a fan also and got the wild hare to build that one. I'll pm it to you if you want it for personal use. 

oh ya please! The boys will get a kick out of it.

Let me know if you need parts for those machnies, I work in the parts department. Im not Idaho but...We can ship aywhere.

• Like 1