Sign in to follow this  
Maxwell

Hello NOOBIE from NW Indiana

I just recently purchased a Lasor point 2 and am waiting for it to ship.

I am new to all this technology and looking to start a new hobby and hopefully create some fun things in the process.  I have many questions and ideas of what I am looking to do but have no idea on how to accomplish them.

I have experience with screen printing from my childhood but that was quite different and quite a long time ago.

I am an avid ATV / UTVer and am looking to make decals, stickers, t shirts as well as other items such as Bean bag boards and such.

I am wondering how to actually print my decals ans stickers then cut them out rather than just cuttting the Vinyl.  I am also looking into the submulsion inks as well. can anyone offer me ideas and products to help me accomplish what I am trying for?

Thank you....

Max

Well printing is a bigger deal than you might think. To print on vinyl you have to have a solvent or eco-solvent based printer and they cost....well...A LOT! Starting above 10K I believe. I also imagine that if you buy the lowest price printer you may also be getting the cheapest. Follow me? Any way. Cutting vinyl is another story and you will have tons of fun with that new cutter once you figure out the ins and outs. There is a definite learning curve and you may be frustrated at first but once you get the hang of it then all you have to do is figure out how to install it properly. <deadpan humor> 

While you wait for your cutter go online and download "Inkscape". It's a free vector graphic program that is superior to what will come with the laser point (You will still need the program that comes with your cutter to be able to send files to cut). There are tutorials in the help section and there are tons of youtube videos to help learn to draw and trace which you will need to know how to do and might as well get started learning while you are setting around biting your nails waiting for the cutter to come.

This forum is a veritable cornucopia of information so at some point you are going to want to set down with a cold drink and do some searching on various topics but until your cutter gets here you don't even know what you don't know yet. That will all come soon enough. Welcome to the forum and I speak from experience that you will not find a better group to help you. Most if not all of us started out exactly where you are right now. 

If you get into sublimation there are a couple of decal materials that you can sublimate onto and contour cut with the LP2. I've had decent outdoor durability with these but they are limited in size and the price per sf. is higher than other printing methods.