Sign in to follow this  
mcrouse

Disappointed with the cutting

I just got the SC series cutter.  I tried cutting out a file earlier today 9 1/2 x 12 1/2 and the blade drag through the design in a couple of spots.  I tried cutting the same file just smaller and I didn't have any problems with the blade dragging, but it stopped cutting in the middle of cutting the design. Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Tons of threads on this very issue.... off the top of my head (and seeing this is your first post) most likely a grounding issue and/or a com issue or, static.  first.... are you connected via USB connection?

• Like 1

And/or the copy of Sure Cuts A Lot hasn't been "activated" yet.

• Like 1

Thank you for replying.  I am connected by the USB cord that came with the cutter.  I did activate the software. 

since you are using USB, are you also using a keyspan adapter?  The SC cutters have a very small memory and can't handle larger files so you must use a keyspan adapter to help out.  Belkin brand.  Also, make sure you ground your cutter to your stand (if you have one).

• Like 1

I will look in to getting this adapter.  How do I ground the cutter to the stand?  Sorry for all the questions.  Thank you for your help.

With your kit you should have had a green wire packed in the little box. Attach one end to a screw on the underside of the cutter and the other to a screw on the stand.  Easy Peezy!

If you by chance have a parallel port on your computer, you can connect to your cutter that way and avoid the keyspan adapter.  I have the SC 25" model and I bought the adapter as I don't have a parallel port on this computer.  

I don't have a parallel port on my computer.  I just ordered the adapter and should have it Wednesday.  I need to go see if I can find that green wire to ground it.  Thank you for all of your help. 

Keep us posted.  If you have more trouble there are a ton of great folks here that will be able to help out!

I have an SC make sure your version of Sure-Cuts-A-Lot Pro is up to date. Go to www.craftedge.com to get the most recent version. The software manufacture had a VERY bad run of versions for about 5 months. I am running version 3.058, several other releases had the same issues you are talking about. Also MAKE sure the cutter carriage is on track both the front and back nylon wheels. The carriage tends to pop off track during shipment.

since you are using USB, are you also using a keyspan adapter?  The SC cutters have a very small memory and can't handle larger files so you must use a keyspan adapter to help out.  Belkin brand.  Also, make sure you ground your cutter to your stand (if you have one).

Where can I get a keyspan adapter. Mine does the same thing sometimes.

Thanks EL & dakota. How does this thing hook to my computer? I have an all in one desk top. There is no serial port only usb & either net .

Thanks EL & dakota. How does this thing hook to my computer? I have an all in one desk top. There is no serial port only usb & either net .

your all in one probably doesn't have a open port for the card - thus you would be stuck with the keyspan - or my favorite a dedicated old xp computer not connected to the networrk

• Like 1