Hello everyone. I have a couple simple questions.pricing for signs...is it different then pricing for a decal? Where is the best place to buy blank smooth pvc, plastic, thin mayerial for sign making with NO minimum order?. Ive been doing t's and decals but have alot of interest in signs...please help the newbie

When it comes to Signs, there are no "simple" pricing guides.

In fact, established sign shops (including the franchise operations) use proprietary software that calculates prices.

As for sign materials themselves (termed "substrates") ---   try GRIMCO.

Where to buy substrates ?

I just suggested one place for that -- GRIMCO.

Sign pricing calculations are convoluted, depending on many variables (cost of substrates, level of complexity for designing the work, time it takes to apply the vinyl, number of colors/layers, and on-site installation, if required)

usplastic

Hmmmmmm, wouldn't he be better dealing with a local sign-supply company that is dedicated to the sign indistry?

The poster asked for a source with no minimum order. Often companies like this are cheaper than one dedicated to a particular market base.

They are the "UScutter" of the plastic industry. 

• Like 1

If you goggel wholesale sign supplys for your area i am sure there will be several. I use mostly metal for flat signs my favorite is a composite called diabond. The pricing has many factors including location. I typicaly charge around $350.00 for a simple one sided sign on diabond or 040 aluminum simple design one or two colors $500.00 two sided plus install. And the price can go up or down some from that.

Installs are material plus time plus travel. You have to factor in drive time if it is 30 minutes away that is at least 1 hour burnt up driving plus actual install time.

• Like 1

handyman, what size sign are you speaking of with that price?

The sheets come in 4x8 foot dimensions, and that's the size you charge for, even if you end up with using a portion ----  any "drop" is still a part of the pricing, despite the fact you'll probably use these scrap piece(s) later and charge for them accordingly.

• Like 1

I have done a couple of little signs , i used Foamex think it was called, a pvc board , a shop who the wife embroiders for asked me to do a simple car park sign and brought me down some of that dibond ,that's really nice stuff, quite expensive over here (uk) you can buy it at the size you want it though.

If you're not wanting a large sheet of signage, you can get corrugated at OfficeMax. They had a 5 pack last time I was in there. 18X12 sheets I think.

The sheets come in 4x8 foot dimensions, and that's the size you charge for, even if you end up with using a portion ----  any "drop" is still a part of the pricing, despite the fact you'll probably use these scrap piece(s) later and charge for them accordingly.

I could never see doing a 2x4 and charging for a full sheet. I know some do it but I charge sf. and adjust based on complexity. To the OP in the end many of us price larger signage on the fly based on previous experience.

I could never see doing a 2x4 and charging for a full sheet. I know some do it but I charge sf. and adjust based on complexity. To the OP in the end many of us price larger signage on the fly based on previous experience.

Jay I usually have scrap that I do small projects with or order blanks any special order color or over half a sheet I charge for full sheet

Even if the total price is lower.

handyman, what size sign are you speaking of with that price?

That is for a 4x8 sign or 3x6 etc any thing involving using a better part of a sheet.

Dan, that anything over a half sheet makes sense and custom color aren't something we deal with very often around here. Almost all businesses around here use either white or black substrate for their signage. Seems the majority of my signs are either full sheet or rather small, not much in the middle and of course the occasional 5x10, 4x12, etc...

Hello everyone. I have a couple simple questions.pricing for signs...is it different then pricing for a decal? Where is the best place to buy blank smooth pvc, plastic, thin mayerial for sign making with NO minimum order?. Ive been doing t's and decals but have alot of interest in signs...please help the newbie

for your area wensco is great to work with also advantage - both in the Grand Rapids area - just found out wensco delivers to my area - I have been using alpine out of lansing for a few years for hard goods

Dan, that anything over a half sheet makes sense and custom color aren't something we deal with very often around here. Almost all businesses around here use either white or black substrate for their signage. Seems the majority of my signs are either full sheet or rather small, not much in the middle and of course the occasional 5x10, 4x12, etc...

I do a lot of 4x4 for real estate but they are usally 2 sided or corner angled signs and i do a lot od 5x10 signs mostly diabond i like that material for about any thing. I sell some blue and yellow and ivory but not enough to stock. I have only done a couple black substrate signs except for a load of coro in black.

• Like 1