outlaws

My First Glass Etching

It is a stemless wine glass. It has a cave arrow on one side and a non directional cookie on the other. Text is "It's a cave thing" 

I have a customer that wants 4 dozen in October so I figured I better get practicing.

Butch

post-84978-0-01468400-1393294562_thumb.j

I am using the air eraser. Bought it from Harbor Freight.

Here are 2 lg wine glasses

post-84978-0-65127300-1393301522_thumb.j

• Like 1

I am using the air eraser. Bought it from Harbor Freight.

Here are 2 lg wine glasses

Trash it... Get a Passche with the large container. You will be glad you did. Filling that little cup gets old fast.

post-21228-0-07147100-1393302302_thumb.p

Thats nice! I have the Paasche air brush and like it. Do you use it in a cabinet or just in the open?

Thats nice! I have the Paasche air brush and like it. Do you use it in a cabinet or just in the open?

No blast cabinet. I have an old spray jacket/pull over (used in kayaking) I use and a spray mask. It tends to make a mess. The mask keeps the grit out of my mouth.

Here is my Sandblaster that I made a few years ago. I saw it on one of the Forums. I did replace the smaller top with a full size(24x24) metal picture frame with plexiglass in it. I must have blasted 1500 pieces in it so far.

post-7680-0-54653500-1393330391_thumb.jp

• Like 5

When you sandblast glass, especially with the fine grade abrasive like an air eraser uses, you really need to wear appropriate breathing protection to keep the glass dust (silicon) out of your lungs or you risk developing silicosis, which is not good - not good at all.

You can get a cheap breathing mask at most hardware stores in the paint department - I have one that looks a lot like a surgeon's mask, but it has a valved flap on it (like this one - but designed for fine dust vs. paint odors).   Even if you're using heavier abrasive and a blast cabinet, it's still a good idea to wear a breathing mask.  I also strongly urge you to wear safety glasses or a full face shield when blasting.

Also, remove your watch and anything else you don't want scratched up.  I had my cell phone (a nice smartphone with a Gorilla Glass screen) in my shirt pocket and the abrasive dust goes everywhere and ended up in my pocket and all over the screen.  Next time I tried to answer a call and swiped my finger across the screen it left permanent scratches.  It also scratched up the case and the back of the phone from being in my pocket.

In the process of clearing the vinyl off the beer mug and cleaning up the debris, I dumped the dust out of the mug onto my work table and ground the IP coating off of the latch on my watch band and left it permanently scratched as well...

post-24492-0-68153900-1393374904_thumb.j

Good tips. I have been around body shops for the last 30 years so I have plenty of respirators and dust style masks. I am thinking of getting the full face shield to add to the safety glasses. And you are right, the little bit I have done the powder goes everywhere.

Butch