So yup, I see everyone say get atleast part down on a job.... Dumb idiot me didn't on this last one and now have a FULL roll of blue cut and started weeding for a trailer tomorrow, call guy to get trailer to the building I have borrowed, and get... "Well I'm not sure now I have to go home and look at the email again. Really you !@# hat, you wait one day before and then, huh maybe I have second thoughts. So ticked at myself right now..

Positive note have a shirt order to do, and will NOT be ordering a thing till money in hand Monday.

Word of the day DOWN PAYMENT to atleast offset the loss of a roll of vinyl.

• Like 3

I preach half down and yet  I occasionally get sucked in by long time customers. I have a dozen camo visors on the shelf printed going on 60 days and he won't answer his phone with no deposit. Live and Learn.

Now the dilemma is do i get it weeded and rolled up and wait to tape it. Or wait to do anymore and tell him he now has to wait longer do to his set back....

That's the way to do it and if you other work for them later on remember this when you are giving a quote ;D . They all pay in the end.

For sure, already did this with another one that thought he needed special prices cause he was doing business with a no body...

• Like 1

Always a depoist. With the signs and larger jobs on the handy man service. On the handyman side large jobs are 1/3 down with progression draws as per state law.

My banner job yesterday was the first job i have ever did and got 1/2 payment down before i started.. and i think that will be my new rule, 

AMEN!!

I have waited like 3 months for a payment once.. good thing it was just a few decals .. but it still sucks.. I'm waiting on a $30 payment right now i got %70 of the payment when he picked it up and said i'll be back tomorrow and .. nothing..  i msg him on facebook and bug him almost everyday .. sad thing is i have knowen him since like 1st grade so i think he thinks cause i'm a small guy it don't mean nothing

Nothing leaves without payment in full. Best friend, worst enemy, it doesn't matter for those of us that do this as a business it must be treated as such or you will go under.

Nothing leaves with out payment. However till now I didn't require down payments. Good news I learned my lesson B)

• Like 1

I tell people anything over 50.00, half down required. Never have a problem with that. If they cant afford 25.00 down even, then don't cut/print until then. 

Ive cut smaller jobs, and they have backed out, but never that big of a loss..

it sucks. most of us have been there at one time or another.

• Like 1

I kind of lied about letting things leave w/o payment. I can think of 2 times I let stuff go knowing they wouldn't pay but I figured if they osed me they'd stay away and they have so money well spent.

• Like 2

If its a small simple decal, i will go ahead and cut it, if im already cutting something of the same color.

Like i did two large black 4x4 Decals 6x12 for $30...and i had a customer that wanted a smaller decal for his tailgate, 2x6 in black. 

The guy with the larger decals had already paid, but i cut them and the smaller ones for the guy who didnt pay yet, just because i didnt want to see all that wasted space in the black.

Of course 3 days later, the guy finally pays me and i shipped it.

I won't cut any HTV for hats/shirts until i get full payment, for small orders. If i did a larger order i may require 50% down.

Same here. 50% deposit, no exceptions. Learned early on (the hard way) got stuck with about $100 in materials. Reused substrate though and eased the pain a little. I tell them all, "It's just business" and very few complain. Had one last week said they wanted to write just ONE check, I said fine gave them the TOTAL amount and said problem solved. He had a good sense of humor (luckily) and wrote the check ! GO FIGURE.

• Like 2

If they write a check it needs to be in full up front or only on the deposit with cash or card at time of delivery. The reason I take a check that way is I can deposit it and make sure it's good before they get their order. Most people I won't even touch a check from just because of bad experiences.