SeeJaysPlace

Store Front

I stay open til 6 and get complaints all the time because the business owners have a hard time getting here during those hours. 9 may be late but I'd say at least 7 so they have time to close their place eat dinner and still be able to catch you open.

Lol those business owners should be able to leave during the day to get stuff and errands done..or send an employee out to do it .

Banks close early....so do post offices, im sure those business owners have to go to those places.

• Like 1

We don't all have employees. I assure you it's not easy to get out when you're a small timer but the bigger companies usually send a worker over during the day to discuss what they need. 8-6 Monday - Friday doesn't leave a lot of time to go places.

• Like 1

I was referring to more of the local big businesses..like your local plumbing/elec/ac-heating, lumber yards, etc...that may need some signs and stuff and have employees...

And yeah us small timers have to make time to run such errands...ive even taken some vacation hours off to run errands for my business.

I didn't realize when I first opened how hard it is for some people to get here during normal hours. I will come in on a Saturday or Sunday to meet with a client about signs if that's what their schedule dictates or stay a few minutes late during the week if they need me to.

Ive been looking at commercial retail space for awhile now around here. Cheapest Ive found was rent at 850 a month for a place worth being in, size and location. Have a few places Im still looking into so fingers crossed

No frontage for you. Customers have to find you in the dungeon. Monkey is right about a place being worth renting. I'm in a small town with cheap rent but no people so is the rent better of is it better to pay more and be in a prime location where thousands of people see you every day.

I didn't realize when I first opened how hard it is for some people to get here during normal hours. I will come in on a Saturday or Sunday to meet with a client about signs if that's what their schedule dictates or stay a few minutes late during the week if they need me to.

You could always do like most motorcycle shops, open Tues - Sat. You still get 2 days off, and with one being Monday it give you time to run around do the things you need that can't be done on a weekend.

• Like 1

Actually been tossing that idea around for about a month now. But I've got thousands of cards out there with our hours on them. I won't do that again lol.

Well i just talked to this Agent.. This space is one big space sectioned off into 4 little spaces.. 300/SF  it's like a 18x18 Room

Thinking is that big enough,  So.. I know i can't fit my screen printing stuff in there  I can't wait to go look at it tomorrow just to see if it's going to work

Take measurements of all your stuff..and take a tape meausre with u and compare to see if there will be room for you to manage.

Here's a photo from the realtor's website -- it looks like a ghost town.

Quick impressions:

1. No street parking

2. Trees obscure marquee signs (especially when they have leaves)

3. Can you name three businesses in the strip from memory? (other than EGGIES CAFE and Liberty Tax)

This shopping center seems to have no "draw" of an anchor store.

1 - There is a BIG Parking lot on each side of it ..

2- tree's are a minus

3- I'm not from that area i don't go to that mall often.. i know of the crystal fight club is in there a MMA training camp

4- Bass Lake Road is a VARY BUSY ROAD.. and it's across the street from some base ball feilds that is vary busy..

its a vary good place in the city it's in ..

• Like 1

We don't all have employees. I assure you it's not easy to get out when you're a small timer but the bigger companies usually send a worker over during the day to discuss what they need. 8-6 Monday - Friday doesn't leave a lot of time to go places.

I work during the day and do estimates at lunch and after hours and on weekends. Dont leave a lot of leisure time even on what i am calling part time 40 - 45 hrs a week. But that is about half of what i use to work.

Remember location can be very important....but not always.

The big local graphic dealer in my town who does all the cop cars and ambulances and alot of race cars, her shop is in a dead area of town hidden way back out of sight.....but she is always busy and everyone knows where shes at. She has about 4 employees working for her in her big building with a 3 car garage bay work area...

In all this discussion I have yet to see serious reference made to a business plan. In my mind a move like this would be destined for rapid failure if current assets forced one to ponder where the rent might come from in X number of months should business not grow to sustain the move. Granted with risk comes reward, and dreams are meant to be fullfilled. But for those of you considering a storefront move on limited budget; how would you be better off if you could not sustain the move thru winter other than be a bit wiser?

I rented my shop with 1 month and security. 5 years ago. Business plans are good but if you know your market and have teh drive they aren't everything.

• Like 2

Building a garage to work out of will cost alot more money...might as well just keep on working out of your house.

If he can rent a store front on a month to month basis, he should try. But he has to advertise and let people know hes there...otherwise hes just a knot on a log..his shop will open and close and nobody will notice.

was thinking about adding another garage here but with the printer it has to be more climate controlled and by the time i added heat/ air condtioning, dehumidifier, humidifier I figure i will keep working out of the house.

For a first store front I would say make sure your in the busiest area and also make yourself known.  The lady you refer to that is in the dead spot of town probably started in a very busy storefront area and then once the name and reputation is built up moved off the main drag.  After a year or two of putting a good name and reputation out there you can prob move to a larger more commercial area and have the same rent if not less and people will find you if they want a quality job.  Of course always rent both spaces for a month and put signs in the one saying you have moved to the other.

In all this discussion I have yet to see serious reference made to a business plan. In my mind a move like this would be destined for rapid failure if current assets forced one to ponder where the rent might come from in X number of months should business not grow to sustain the move. Granted with risk comes reward, and dreams are meant to be fullfilled. But for those of you considering a storefront move on limited budget; how would you be better off if you could not sustain the move thru winter other than be a bit wiser?

A little wisdom and experince can be worth more than money. Even with a very well placed business plan prosperity is not guaurnteed. business like life is a chance every day that it will not make it untill tomorrow and just like life you have to try to move up and foward or you just wither and die. That is the great thing about a month to month you can walk away if you need to.

• Like 2

SeeJay didn't go down the yellow brick road yet. For anybody considering opening a store let me say that this year has been the best I've had in 5 years. I think if gov't doesn't go and mess everything up we may  be past the worst of the bad economic times, finally.

Im glad youve had a good year!

Since i basically just started back in May, and only doing it in my spare time, i have yet to break even.

Ive got about $4500 invested (cutter, vinyl, tools, heat press, shirts) and i have made, in the books, about $900.

Of course i could make alot more money if i was able to invest more time, but my 8-10hrs of work at my day job sucks up alot of my time, and it pays the bills and food and housing and health/dental insurances.

I looked at a place for 570sq-ft, $350 (heat included) a month +other utilities, its 1 block off main street, and would be a great spot.

I just cant afford it right now...and she wanted a 1yr lease.

Sad thing is the place had been empty for about a year..lol.