security802

Latest Van

So I have this Utility van to reletter for one of our local Volunteer Dept. Just getting started but this is the front

post-36874-0-47489000-1378040787_thumb.j before

post-36874-0-29651400-1378040736_thumb.j After

post-36874-0-82785100-1378040924_thumb.j close up of the cross on cutting table

Cool.

Are you using red reflective?

No they didn't like the price of the Reflective and the Chief said why do I need it anyways I have a million flashing lights on this thing.. LOL I understand they have a small budget and the van was donated from another dept to them. I wanted to do it all in reflective both the red and black. Oh well maybe the next one

Reflective can be a real pain to install so I think you both got a deal out of that, they save money and you can install regular vinyl. Every time I install reflective I pull more hair out. There has got to be any easier way than how I do it

I do alot of Firefighter half plates in reflective. It usually goes really good for me tho. I just really want to make something out of black and red reflective tho

The local Sheriff cars are Dodge Chargers with a full length reflective with print. Having to do a compound curve dry and by myself... There has to be a better way.

The local Sheriff cars are Dodge Chargers with a full length reflective with print. Having to do a compound curve dry and by myself... There has to be a better way.

I recruit the wife on long decals.

The long doesn't scare me but if it touches anywhere it shouldn't in the trash can it goes. My question is do they make any type of app. fluid that can be used on reflective.

The long doesn't scare me but if it touches anywhere it shouldn't in the trash can it goes. My question is do they make any type of app. fluid that can be used on reflective.

I don't think so. I have a friend that does alot with reflective and she says she does it in smaller sections. She goes a foot or so at a time and removes the backing in the same sections. I haven't tried it this way and not sure how well it would work.

The problem I'm having is due to the shape I have to cover it basically has to be done at 1 time due to the difficulty of removing the backing as you go. I should probably check out youtube for some videos of installs.

Not yet. Last job I did kicked my but trying to avoid bubbles and if you hold the reflective at an extreme angle so it doesn't touch you run the risk of getting a crease mark in it. I am starting to think reflective is just one of those things I may pass on, at least in these situations. I've done dozens of car logos on rear windows w/o any incident.

So this just got sucky, it decided it needs to rain all day today, and this van will not fit in the garage I have for doing work on bad days. I need my own garage for sure, but not in the budget right now. I feel a cold coming on for Wed from my full time job to get it done in time LOL

I feel a cold coming on for Wed from my full time job to get it done in time LOL

Keep doing the quality that you have been and this will be a full time job soon enough.

Keep doing the quality that you have been and this will be a full time job soon enough.

Nah then it wouldn't be fun anymore

what the devil is that thing on the front of the vehicle a cone holder?

Yup sure is it will hold 10 or 15 cones he said

Oh and great step for doing the hood too B)

Reflective can be a real pain to install so I think you both got a deal out of that, they save money and you can install regular vinyl. Every time I install reflective I pull more hair out. There has got to be any easier way than how I do it

Sometimes we will use 751 or 951 as a base layer and apply the reflective to that before installing it on the vehicle. Then you'll be able to use app fluid. Plus the cast is so thin, it doesn't really make the 2 layers much thicker that it would be a problem with curves. Only downside we've had with this method is if the customer doesn't want an outline/shadow, you gotta cut the cast the same size as the reflective, therefore your layering needs to be dead on. It's a bit more expensive this way with the added material but it beats throwing away reflective. Plus, come removal time, it doesnt leave the nasty mess that the reflective leaves behind.  Didn't mean to jack your thread EL (nice work btw), just passin along some info that seems to work for us. Hope it helps.

• Like 2