tysan

Clear transfer tape??

Hello a newbie here and I have a question? For doing layering does everyone use clear for aligning reg marks ?? I like paper better but it's hard to see reg marks!! Any suggestions ? Thank you ..

you can use a light table with your paper tape, you can add some clear tape above the paper where the registation marks are - in a pinch you can even use packaging tape above your paper to see the registration marks

For doing layering does everyone use clear for aligning reg marks ??

Yes, I use clear tape almost exclusively (only use paper Oracal HT55 on Oracal 631), but I'm one of the odd ones.  Most of the "professionals" on here prefer paper tape.

I just picked up a small light table at a garage sale this past weekend, so I'll experiment with some paper tape and see if it changes my opinion, but I like using clear because I sell a lot of my decals through a retail store and it helps for customers to see the color(s).

I think the main thing Jones - is if you are installing where there is any curve at all paper will stretch a little making it easier to install - clear doesn't streatch

As I have lurked in here...  I had always thought the Clear would be best for retail sales...
I had wondered why most of you were opposed...  not having seen the reasons why....

Now I have both answers in the above post....  Thanks guys....

about the only reason to use clear is to display the graphic - it has not other redeeming features as far as application and caused more problems than it is worth when when applying for the most part

• Like 1

I use the box meathod for lining up stuff, rather then registration marks usually... so paper is fine!

I use to use clear but after buying paper I'm not going back unless I sell retail but that doesn't look like anytime soon.

I believe they were referring to using a light box to see through the paper tape better when lining up layered goods.

The first tape we used, was paper... when we began cutting again, we bought the clear tape and I've been very happy with it.  The paper tape lifted a lot around the edges, and I didn't like that.  I also preferred to be able to see the image through the tape, because we do a lot of small decals for car windows.  We were selling on Ebay, Craiglist and other various websites, so it worked out best for us to be able to showcase the actual design and color.

I use the box meathod for lining up stuff, rather then registration marks usually... so paper is fine!

Make a box around the images you are layering.

For instance a 2 color decal, let's say Red and Black...You make the red/black image and then a gray box around it..

When you cut one color you cut the red with gray box.. then the black with gray box.

Weed both.

Tape one with app tape.

Tape edges of other one to cutting board..

Cut the bottom left of the app-taped vinyl off, and then on the other side you about 1" of the app tape off and cut off the backing.. alight the image to the cut corner and then the bottom of the other side... then apply, and hinge it.

I'm a newbie but as of right now I like using clear tape over paper as it's a 50/50 chance the paper tape will stay down..Most of the time it will curl up which I cannot stand and I will not send my customers a decal with curled edges. Until I can find a good paper tape, I am using clear. But I'd love to hear what brand paper tape you all are using with good results? Dakota has a great point though--clear doesn't stretch like paper and can be a problem when installing on curve surfaces.

@xJoey... So one large registration box around the images instead of several smaller ones.

• Like 1

OK....  So, If you all would....  Could I please know which tapes you are using.
Both Clear and paper.  I want to put them on my order list if I don't already have them

Thank You

I don't use clear.  I make large 8ft-16ft graphics and use Main Perfect Tear medium tac paper tape.   Use Main paper tape for smaller decals also. 

• Like 2

When I apply paper app tape to my smaller graphics, I cut the weed line off the right and left sides. I then apply the app tape leaving 1/2 to 1 inch longer to wrap around the back of the graphic. No lifting or curling that way. I then trim the top and bottom weed lines.

@xJoey... So one large registration box around the images instead of several smaller ones.

Technically, yeah. lol

I've started using a + for my registration marks. I will make it about 3/4" in size. For my top layers I will cut the center of the + out leaving 4 small dashes on the outside to line up through the hole that I cut. It makes it much easier.

I also use paper tape. The green star med tack has been wonderful to me. Cheap too ;D. The only time I use clear tape is when it is requested. When I go to the occasional flee market I have a catalog with everything I have with me and a some examples of decal in different colors on a banner hanging from the table. works better than clear tape bc people don't handle everything as much too.

clear is for displaying - paper is for use - basically if you are applying you want paper - clear works ok for flat work but if there is a curve at all your customers will get wrinkles with clear

I have 24 inch  Clear Tape, and 24 inch Paper Tape.. just all depends what i'm working with.. and i also have 12 inch in both and 6 inch in both..

and some special 631 tape to.. but i only think that comes in paper not clear...

I want to build me a nice 24x24 light box.. i just wish i could make one and make it look good.. i need to try to find someone to make one for me .. hehe  :)

I have 24 inch  Clear Tape, and 24 inch Paper Tape.. just all depends what i'm working with.. and i also have 12 inch in both and 6 inch in both..

and some special 631 tape to.. but i only think that comes in paper not clear...

I want to build me a nice 24x24 light box.. i just wish i could make one and make it look good.. i need to try to find someone to make one for me .. hehe  :)

I build mine out of old windows and led strip lights from eBay. Because the window in the frame is inset a bit the led lights sit in perfectly and I can just take the whole window and set it on my desk when needed.