Sign in to follow this  
egobuster1

best way to get noticed with out a store front

im curious as to how people attract business without a store front as i draw some of my work in from friends and family and also with some social media sites but i would like to get more activity to my website for online orders. just curious as to how you guys all attract in business. 

good work and word of mouth

Dakota nailed it with the first response.  Do good work, make a good name for yourself and people will let other people know.

In the meantime, start a Facebook page and post your designs with pricing information and let people know you also do custom work (if you do custom work, that is!)

Check into local fairs, festivals, craft shows, flea markets, swap meets, etc. and see how much it costs to setup a booth/table and sell directly to the public there.  Another type of show to watch for are "vendor fairs" which are primarily intended for people selling Amway, Avon, Herbalife, stuff like that - if you don't want to invest the money for a booth, make up some literature that you can hand out to the different vendors as many of those people want their contact info on their vehicles and need someone to help them with.

If you know anyone who operates a retail business, see if they will let you setup a display in their store.  That's the arrangement I have, some friends with a small business have a large bulletin board covered with my decals and they handle the retail end of it.  I also use them as my pick up/drop off point for custom work customers so I don't have people coming to my home.

Advertise where it's cheap - Craigslist or Bookoo.com are both good places to start.  If your community has a weekly free paper full of classified ads, see if they need vinyl signs or window displays and offer them a trade for some free advertising.

Magnetic signs for your vehicle are relatively inexpensive and are a good way of showing what you can do.

Once you get the ball rolling, if you've provided a good quality product, it should keep going on it's own and build up speed!

• Like 1

I never advertise all my work is repeat customers and referals . If you do good work and deliver a quality product people will advertise for you . Honesty ,integerity and standing behind your work that is why I use a premium cast on everything but temporary signs and banners I also use quality substrates . The same is true for my handyman service top quality material and done right and stand behind the finished product .

word of mouth keeps me busy but I just donated 1 refrigerator wrap to the high scool after prom party and the hits on the refrigerator on my facebook page are taking off like a space shuttle. - am pretty sure I am reaching a few new people.  Last big event was a made a decal that said "Buckeyes are those nut that hang below Michigan"tm  and it went viral.  a little creative marketing never hurt

I started out doing signs only for my concession business. The old "who did your signs?" got me started doing it for others. In 8 years, I have never advertised..not even a listing in the phone book.

Quality work and decent prices will get you all the work you want eventually. Just be patient.

Oh, I did list on Craigs list ONCE and it paid off big time. TOO much,in fact.

I'm the same way I just started, let a few people know, did some signs for friends word got around and that's about it.  I work out of my house   I got some cards printed up and I hand them out also. 

Hey Doug who did your cards? I want to find someone local to make me a few.

Back on topic, when I first started I advertised on craigslist. I got a few customers that keep coming back to me, it allowed me to buy a graphtec. Get your services out there and if its a good deal they'll come back every time.

Hey Doug who did your cards? I want to find someone local to make me a few.

Back on topic, when I first started I advertised on craigslist. I got a few customers that keep coming back to me, it allowed me to buy a graphtec. Get your services out there and if its a good deal they'll come back every time.

PM Sent

For business cards, I used Vistaprint, they are online.  A friend told me you could get some for free!  I checked it out and sure enough, but I upgraded some things and ended up paying 20 bucks.  So worth it, the cards look great!  Pretty fast turnaround as well.  I understand trying to go local and if you do, good for you, if not, check out vistaprint.

• Like 1

alright sounds good, i use Instagram which has been a big hit for drawing business in, plus i do have  a facebook page and a website.

i did a huge decal for the back window of my car and i also have business cards that i try and hand out,

hopefully once the weather starts getting warmer here i can draw in some more people at car shows and such events.