How do you guys go about selling windshield banners? I get lots of inquiry's on these but to me it's not worth cutting (1) windshield banner and wasting all that material which will likely never be used again. I don't like to tell people "No". I've sold them in 2 pieces before like shown but people aren't really interested in 2 piece decals. I made a diagram shown below ot show customers what i am talking about.

post-25948-0-42666700-1363319898_thumb.j

post-25948-0-76333600-1363319912_thumb.j

There are times when you need different widths of vinyl, to only use for certain jobs.  This is one those times. I sell many wind shield banners.  And make a good profit from them..   If your turning down jobs, because you only have 1 width of vinyl, then you need to rethink your vinyl inventory.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply and input. So should i invest in 10" vinyl for banners? I only stock 24" but on occasion it's out of stock at my local sign supply shop. I currently have a roll of 12" black and a roll of 12.5" light blue. Other than that they are all 24" rolls.

What do you charge for windshield banners?

Jeff.

Invest in vinyl that works for your business...  which may not be the same as mine.  I'm not going to tell you what size to buy, that is your decision.   Your welcome

I have basically 15" vinyl and planning on getting some wider stuff for other applications. I did one windshield banner about a yr ago haven't heard of any issues. Anyway not to take over the post but do you use matte or gloss? I used gloss and thinking that might not be right.

If you have 24" wide vinyl and you need to make a windshield banner that lets say is 36" x 6"  that leaves a strip of vinyl  that's 36" x 18".  That can certainly be used for another project.  What are you doing, weeding off the 36" x 18" uncut vinyl?  Use an exacto knife and a straight edge trim it and save it for another job.

I had a job doing N numbers for a helicopter they were 8" tall and 54" long.  All I had was 15" vinyl,  I cut the numbers out and had a piece of vinyl left over that was 6" wide and 108" long.  I was able to use the left over for another job.  The price I got for the N numbers paid for the 108" x 15" vinyl 3 times over and I made more money off of the scrap.

• Like 1

If you have 24" wide vinyl and you need to make a windshield banner that lets say is 36" x 6"  that leaves a strip of vinyl  that's 36" x 18".  That can certainly be used for another project.  What are you doing, weeding off the 36" x 18" uncut vinyl?  Use an exacto knife and a straight edge trim it and save it for another job.

I had a job doing N numbers for a helicopter they were 8" tall and 54" long.  All I had was 15" vinyl,  I cut the numbers out and had a piece of vinyl left over that was 6" wide and 108" long.  I was able to use the left over for another job.  The price I got for the N numbers paid for the 108" x 15" vinyl 3 times over and I made more money off of the scrap.

That is exactly what I do.  I decide on what width vinyl to use based on what type of scrap is going to be left.  If I can arrange everything to make the most use of my vinyl, great.... but I might use a wider width depending on scrap size for other jobs.  You gotta think ahead, especially if the color in question happens to be one that another customer uses a lot of  :-)  another plus for me is I do etching on glassware so small scraps are also of use  :-)

Same here.

run your cutter enough and you'll end up with this size scrap you can save and use, I dig through my scraps and complete entire jobs sometimes without ever loading a roll on my cutter.  It takes longer, but it saves you a lot of $.

• Like 1

I buy 8" vinyl, (Oracle 651) for your standard windshield banners. There 8.50 for a roll 30 feet long.. and I only charge 20 plus shipping to do windshield banners. I currently cut for 4 car clubs, and stay pretty busy with them. This is not my only job, I am Active Duty Army, so I dont rely on this for my main source of income which allows me to cut way cheaper then the local sign sho[p. One club, was paying 55 dolalrs a peice for windshield banner, which seemed way high to me. I do them for 20, and they instal them. I never turn anyone away, even if I think i am gopnna break even at best, because its all about word of mouth..

run your cutter enough and you'll end up with this size scrap you can save and use, I dig through my scraps and complete entire jobs sometimes without ever loading a roll on my cutter.  It takes longer, but it saves you a lot of $.

I write all the sizes on my scraps, takes no time...

I do the same as Mz Skeeter, mark size of remaining piece off the 24" and usually have a  use for it within a few days. Very little "waste" at all. But to each his own.

I buy 8" vinyl, (Oracle 651) for your standard windshield banners. There 8.50 for a roll 30 feet long.. and I only charge 20 plus shipping to do windshield banners. I currently cut for 4 car clubs, and stay pretty busy with them. This is not my only job, I am Active Duty Army, so I dont rely on this for my main source of income which allows me to cut way cheaper then the local sign sho[p. One club, was paying 55 dolalrs a peice for windshield banner, which seemed way high to me. I do them for 20, and they instal them. I never turn anyone away, even if I think i am gopnna break even at best, because its all about word of mouth..

where do you buy the 8" rolls?

This vendor on ebay sells a lot of narrow rolls, most of which are 50 yards long. 

Make sure you "Ask Seller for a Total" to get the discount on multi-item shipping.

• Like 1

I write all the sizes on my scraps, takes no time...

I cut off the side panel of a 50 yd  24" or 30" Oracal vinyl box, or a long transfer tape box, roll up the vinyl with the size written on the outside, and stand them up in the boxes.  Ez to locate, you can see the color and the sizes on the outside.  Works for me..

I didn't see a name brand on that vinyl.  Seems like a great selection and fair pricing tho

I didn't see a name brand on that vinyl.  Seems like a great selection and fair pricing tho

a lot it says in the title 3M. Avery. I think they sell a lot of FDC also.  If you ask they will tell you.  I have asked.

This vendor on ebay sells a lot of narrow rolls, most of which are 50 yards long. 

Make sure you "Ask Seller for a Total" to get the discount on multi-item shipping.

THANKS B)

adam is a great guy and sells some nice fdc vinyl!

• Like 1

I ordered a 3.5" x 50 yard roll of Raspberry Ultra Metallic 5 Year Cast vinyl and a roll of 8.5" x 50 yard roll of 3M 7725 Dusted Crystal Etched Glass vinyl and he included a free roll of 3.5" x 50 yard Lime Green 3M vinyl - all showed up in a couple of business days, well packed and shipped UPS.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with it...

BTW - the 3M etched glass vinyl is on a clear liner - has anybody used a translucent vinyl with a clear liner?  I'm concerned about whether or not the media sensor is going to detect it...   Guess there is only one way to find out!

I ordered a 3.5" x 50 yard roll of Raspberry Ultra Metallic 5 Year Cast vinyl and a roll of 8.5" x 50 yard roll of 3M 7725 Dusted Crystal Etched Glass vinyl and he included a free roll of 3.5" x 50 yard Lime Green 3M vinyl - all showed up in a couple of business days, well packed and shipped UPS.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with it...

BTW - the 3M etched glass vinyl is on a clear liner - has anybody used a translucent vinyl with a clear liner?  I'm concerned about whether or not the media sensor is going to detect it...   Guess there is only one way to find out!

I keep my media sensor off at all times, because I do use a lot smaller scraps lengths and widths.  BUT I also watch my cutter, I don't walk away from it. It is a machine, after all.  You can turn your sensor off, by turning on your cutter power switch,  while holding down the down arrow. Step thru menu there.  I did cut 3M dusted crystal a few years back, but like I said, media sensor off.  5 years now,  purchased cutter new, and I have never had to change my cutting strip.  No gouges, huge scratches.

I keep my media sensor off at all times, because I do use a lot smaller scraps lengths and widths.  BUT I also watch my cutter, I don't walk away from it. It is a machine, after all.  You can turn your sensor off, by turning on your cutter power switch,  while holding down the down arrow. Step thru menu there.  I did cut 3M dusted crystal a few years back, but like I said, media sensor off.  5 years now,  purchased new and I have never had to change my cutting strip.  No gouges, huge scratches.

If it gives me any problems I will try that first

I am fairly new to sign making and had a question about scrap and layout. I am wondering how much time to spend when trying to save vinyl. For example you are cutting out a sign or wall art that has two or three colors. Some items that are simple I feel comfortable arranging on the vinyl to use the least amount of vinyl possible and place them by hand. What I am not sure about is if the design is more complex is it worth taking the time to measure and align individual words and graphics on a window, sign or wall? I always worry about a portion being crooked or not aligned but hate to waist vinyl that I am just weeding out.