gcextreme

Data Backup

Im new here..looking into getting an SC 34" and a heat press for shirts.

My question is, how are people backing up thier files and organizing their work and client data?

Im thinking of using an external hard drive, maybe 500g, and also backing up stuff to disks (dvds or cds) and maybe jump/flash drives.

I know from experience that u can never have enuff backups....hard drives fail, disks go bad, and flash drives get lost and go bad....

Maybe people are using The Cloud??

I do all of the above. I've never tried out Cloud, so I can't comment on that. What kind of heat press are you looking at getting?

Not sure on the heat press....i just want to be able to make shirts and such....maybe hats too??

I am a web developer and i back up all my clients stuff to an external hard drive and then each client also gets their stuff backed up on flash drives....

Every now and then i back up everything to dvds...

Just looking for more backup suggestions and advice....and advice on organizing stuff...

Like right now my root folder is "Websites" then each customer has their own folder...then inside thier folder are more folders...one name theirsite.com and other folders for thier business and their billing infos..

Thinking of doing the same thing with the vinyl stuff.......

3 external hd's here to back up data.  main computer has 5tb right now = going to 5.5tb soon

Main PC has Raid 0+1 (Striping for speed with a mirror on a second set of HD's for back up), 1tb external HD for secondary daily backups, and DVD's for storage backups that go into a fire safe.

And next on the list is a Drobo Drive for real time backups. These things are amazing.

We haven't backed up any files yet, as we just started our business, but we already have a ton of files, and fonts, so we recently bought a 2tb external HD.  We're going to begin transferring our files over to that, as back up.

Ang

My main source for my files are on a 2tb WD standard hdd, my first back up is on a WD 500gb external, and will be transferring that to a WD 1tb hdd. I do have some artwork on flash drives/ thumb drives. As for clients and ones I do to sell I set up a client folder then inside that folder is a sub folder of their named which the holds each project. For the in stock decals etc I have a main folder name in stock decals and then sub folders of what they are.

Im new here..looking into getting an SC 34" and a heat press for shirts.

My question is, how are people backing up thier files and organizing their work and client data?

Im thinking of using an external hard drive, maybe 500g, and also backing up stuff to disks (dvds or cds) and maybe jump/flash drives.

I know from experience that u can never have enuff backups....hard drives fail, disks go bad, and flash drives get lost and go bad....

Maybe people are using The Cloud??

I have a USB 2TB Drive that hooks up to my Router, and i can access the files on a every computer on the network.. 

and i can FTP to that drive as well.. from my phone or any computer out side the network

and i make DVD back-up's about once a month 

I <3 this router.. It has Smart Wi-Fi and it has about 4 apps for your smart phone .. you can control the whole router from your phone it's awesome for geeks like me .. hehe 

I can reset it i can stop access to any computer hooked up to it..and it has a media server built in so i can run movies from the 2TB Hard drive and play them on my PS3 or Music :)

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Performance-Dual-Band-E4200-v2/dp/B0068ALV8Q

Nice... i may have to get me one of those routers! The smartphone app sounds awesome...im into stuff like that.

I have a home security system set up with cameras and i can access them thru my phone wherever i am at and check on stuff at my house...(i have atvs and motorcycles i gotta keep my eyes on, lol)

Nice... i may have to get me one of those routers! The smartphone app sounds awesome...im into stuff like that.

I have a home security system set up with cameras and i can access them thru my phone wherever i am at and check on stuff at my house...(i have atvs and motorcycles i gotta keep my eyes on, lol)

http://www.linksys.com/en-us/smartwifi#tab3

check out the apps.. they are awesome!

Yep i wish i had camera's at my house i could watch from my phone.. but when i was gone my data plan would go thru the roof if i could do that LoL I would go thru my 3gig a month limit in no time! 

I Have 1 main server for storage. 1HDD for music and pictures, 1 for my videos, 1 for apps & Games, 1 for all my data. 

all my data is also backed up in the cloud. if my hdd crashes then i have a backup online, that can be downloaded from anywhere. its encrypted and password protected with a very long password lol.

yes hard drives crash, paper burns , theres just no garunteed way  to make sure it never fails. Just make alot of backups. if one gets corrupt you will have another. 

Im a firm believer of many backups. and backup of backups :D

I dont belive in burning discs, since that can fail very easy. 

my wedding pictures i think theres like 20 backups of those. My wife told me if i ever lost them, it would be my ass .. so lol

Reading this fourm i'm going to back up my files on to some DVD's i have .. LoL... 

I have lost a hard drive before the first year my company was up and it SUCKED when i lost all my customer files and such  :(

yep,,,lol glad i created this thread..... now everyone... GO BACK UP YOUR FILES! and then Backup the BACKUPS!

• Like 1

How does the cloud work? Do you just register and then choose what drives on your computer you want backed up? Do you choose when to back up or how often? Does it affect your computer performance any? I would think this would be one of the best back ups since it's online and will be there forever, I guess??

Yes.. how do we get a cloud? how does it work..  Are you talking Google Cloud?

and the price of it ?

cloud is basically storing your files on a distant server - with flowery wording to make it sound cool

i just got this device, its like a personal cloud device...u plug in an external hard drive to it and then connect it to your router, and you can access your files on that hard drive thru the internet and any computer/device that u set it up for...i havent set it up yet...bu soon...it was only $40 at walmart.