Pcrat

HOLY SHI*!!! has anyone ever charged $20.00 a foot for small lettering?

I was at work today, and my work gets there lettering from some sign shop here in this small town. I talked the supervisor at my work who was applying the lettering, and asked him how much he was paying, he said $20.00 a foot. ( yes my ass hit the floor lol )  this is ONLY white lettering. not very large, letters were approx, 2.5 inchs tall.  they must of got about 10-15 feet total he said. 

I cant see anyone charging that much for ONLY lettering and its not that big...

just wondering if u guys ever charge that for lettering?

$300 for 15' lettering? Sounds about right. What type vinyl? Alot of variables here and really what people say they pay and what they actually pay are most of the time 2 different numbers. 

Receipts and sizes or it didn't happen.

Did it have to be one piece? Layout time, cut, weed, pain in the ass, customer in your ear. Easily that much. 

• Like 1

I did a 12" x 18" sign last night that took 3 hours. Lots of small letters. Charged a half gallon of Captain Morgans and a fith of Milagro Tequila Select.

• Like 7

just lettering, about 2 feet long, less than 10 words, 2 rows all fit on 12In vinyl, Ive weeded words about that big, takes about a minute or two. 2.5 in high letters 

i dont know i guess it just sounds like a lot for just a few words... 

Ive known him for a while, he wouldnt shit me lol.  Ive heared alot around $12.00 a foot, 

but hey im not paying for it.. I told him i would do  there lettering cheaper, its all for garbage areas, small signs really, 
If i can do it for them a bit cheaper, and help them out, 

We get a profit sharing, so when we save the company money we get a bigger bonus, :D other wise hell they can pay whatever they want for it. he did think it was a bit high to pay for just that, but hes just the super who was applying it today. Company is the ones who shell out the money.  

oh well,, wow.

I did a 12" x 18" sign last night that took 3 hours. Lots of small letters. Charged a half gallon of Captain Morgans and a fith of Milagro Tequila Select.

Yea i can understand that, but not for just standard letters lol.  that pretty much say  Dump cardboard here.

I guess since i live in a small town i thought it would be harder to get that kinda money out of people for something so "simple"

just lettering, about 2 feet long, less than 10 words, 2 rows all fit on 12In vinyl, Ive weeded words about that big, takes about a minute or two. 2.5 in high letters 

i dont know i guess it just sounds like a lot for just a few words... 

Ive known him for a while, he wouldnt shit me lol.  Ive heared alot around $12.00 a foot, 

but hey im not paying for it.. I told him i would do  there lettering cheaper, its all for garbage areas, small signs really, 

If i can do it for them a bit cheaper, and help them out, 

We get a profit sharing, so when we save the company money we get a bigger bonus, :D other wise hell they can pay whatever they want for it. he did think it was a bit high to pay for just that, but hes just the super who was applying it today. Company is the ones who shell out the money.  

oh well,, wow.

I would be $40.00. Shop Minimum. Not worth it to sell for anything less, still got at least a half hour min in it from start to finish.

So yep, 20 bucks a foot. Any less and your losing money

there is no such thing as a minimum at my shop. I guess that's why I've seen 3 sign shops go belly up within a few miles of me and I stay busy.

• Like 3

Staying busy losing money is not the way I will run mine. If it works for you great keep it up. In my market area that does not fly. 

I have more work then there is time in the week, Keeping my shop minimum at 40 keeps the tire kickers out and people looking for peeing calvins for 2 bucks. I make no money off of them but I am glad people like you can fill their needs.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Every shop is different, I am merely stating the way I run mine and what works for me. Implying I will close because of it is really unnecessary when you don't know the sales volume I run here monthly and the structure and focus of my business. 

Around here $10 a foot. If you feel you can get more go for it but before I got on a delivery schedule with my local supplier I used to ride to the warehouse weekly and on their bulletin board was always at least 1 or 2 shops going out of business and selling off their equipment. I'm still here at $10 a foot, they're gone at $15 and $20 a foot. I'm not trying to lowball just keep my doors open.

Jay

• Like 2

Controlling the overhead costs is what makes a certain price profitable for some & a loss for others . It surely is not the material costs . Oracacl 651 costs less than $1 per square foot RTA .

• Like 2

ok, sorry i just thought that was pretty high for just lettering. But i guess not. Still learning alot on the pricing part of this. I dont want to overprice, but dont want to undercut neither.

many people do not take into account the cost of the machine. blades, or other supplies - not saying you have to scalp but if you only charge for the cost of the vinyl you will lose in the long run.  I try to be reasonable - not looking for the most money but want to cover expenses and replacement equipement - with the printer that is even more important as the continuing cost is much higher than a cutter.  I would like to be able to keep going now just live for today - I want to be able to replace equipment in the future.  fair pricing will win in the long run.  too cheap and you won;'t be around in the future -- to expensive - same story

• Like 2

Bumping this thread...i was asked to do some decals for a group, sizes would be 2.5"x12" and some 36". 

This group is located in Canada so take that into consideration when it comes to money value..

Anyway, i quoted him, what i thought was a nice generous price, assuming there would be a bulk order, i quoted him $6 each for 2.5x12. Not sure what you would have quoted. But he was disgusted at me....and said he can get them cheaper elsewhere!! (same old story many of us have heard before). Now I am a member of this group, and i see now he is having someone else make them and is selling them for $1 each for 2.5"x12"!! And $2 for the 36" ones!

So ok, he did get them cheaper elsewhere...

So how much different is our US dollar to the Canadian dollar? Or is this vinyl supplier just losing money?

The USD to Canadian $ is not very different. TODAY is $1 USD=$1.11 Canada

When anyone says to me "I can get it cheaper elsewhere' my response is always 'go for it' and that ends it.

Yeah i didnt think the currency difference was that much different..

But i still think my quote for $6 for 2.5"x12" was pretty reasonable...

And what makes me really really mad is that i have done alot of custom stuff for other members of this group, they all know me and my work, i get 3-5 members a week ordering stuff from me. Now this guy is trying to sell stuff way cheaper..of course right now all he is making is the club logo/banner for people..

If you are making a profit and are happy, that;s all that counts. There are plenty who wouldn't touch it for that who don't 'get it' that nobody pays you to sit and wait for the big jobs. That s just time wasted

Your price is reasonable and you have nothing to defend.

Thanks John.

Right now im just doing small stuff for groups and friends and other people, my largest decal i made so far for one customer was 20"x16", and i charged $30 for that shipping included. The guy loved it, it was a solid color Lime Tree Green, took me a bit to weed, it was really detailed.

Last year just starting out in April, not getting my hat/shirt press til October, i made about $800 in sales. Now this year, for just Jan and February i have made $750.

I don't yet think i have come close to breaking even yet, $1400 for the cutter, $500 for the heat presses, and several hundred dollars in supplies, shirts, hats, vinyl, app tape, etc..

But i have got to be getting really close to breaking past my start up costs. Not too bad for a home based business, just doing it in my spare time after work. (of course having a nagging wife that says i need to spend more time with her and hates me staying up late working on stuff).

And i hate it when she says she is proud of all the work i do, and wants to help me...but when i give her a simple chore, she whines and says she doesn't wanna, etc..

Most of the time its just weeding something simple, trying to teach her to do that first, then i will teach her to do the shirts and hats, and finally, teach her to run the computer and cutter...of course if she ever ever really wants to do any of this. 

And i dont get it, she loves scrap booking and crafts, but she doesn't really seem interested in this!

My wife is in the shop about 6 hours a day. Spends three hours doing accounting/billing and collections. then about 3 hours bothering me with whats going on in facebook or trying to get me to donate crap to charities. 

• Like 1

LOL Shawn..

I am working on a few display shirts for upcoming bike shows, and a display board of sample decals.

Can't get my wife to really help with anything, but she will take and add up all my sales receipts, that's about it.

I will be in my office working away, and she will come in, after sitting on the couch for a few hours reading her book, and have the nerve to ask me "Hun what are you gonna cook for dinner?" I am like, what the hell, why cant you cook, i always cook!!

The bottom line is everyone should know excatly what thier total overhead and operating cost is and charge to make money whether it is $6.00 or $20.00 per linear ft or so much per square ft. as long as the bills are paid and you are happy with what profit you make then that is the right price for you.

The only pay I got for this was the smiles and thanks from the kids. It was the best pay I've had in ages.

post-242-0-54016500-1394999522_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The only pay I got for this was the smiles and thanks from the kids. It was the best pay I've had in ages.

Although I can't say I've given away work I do treat schools, churches, civic groups much better than others when it comes to pricing.  In the end charge what you feel it's worth and if they go elsewhere that is their choice.

Taylor Scout Smith died just after Christmas of the Flu...she was 12 years old. I was happy to do it for nothing. In fact, I would have been ashamed to charge. The whole idea was doing acts of kindness in her memory on her birthday

http://www.wjhl.com/story/24389289/johnson-city-girls-life-remembered

• Like 5