Sign in to follow this  
jguajardo

Vinyl Cutting questions

When making small letter or logos on a vinyl sheet what type of blade do you use ? Or are there techniques to do so ? I'm a newbie to this kind of stuff so any advice could help. Thanks

a properly set up cutter with a 60 degree cleancut works for everything 

Also, cut very slow.

Watch you pressure also, if small letters seem to be popping off when cutting try reducing your pressure a little.

Jay

a properly set up cutter with a 60 degree cleancut works for everything 

I second that.

I followed Dakotagrafx's advice and upgraded to a CleanCut blade and found it was easier to cut and weed even smaller designs than ever before.

+1 on the Cleancut 60 blade. I just got my first 1 last week after reading several comments from Dakotagrafx. Well worth the money.

Jay

remember to use the absolute least blade possible for the fine cuts.  also if you change to a cleancut make sure you drop your pressure 30 percent plus and start with too little blade - if you cut thru the backing it can break the tip.  they last longer because they are harder - which means more brittle so not as forgiving if you cut deep in your cutting strip  when they turn.  I usually go a year of more on a cleancut blade.  last one I did have to replace in the printer in 11 months though.  after that point they go into the extra holder for metallics/reflective as you usually are not cutting as fine of stuff with that material and it is so hard on blades.   When I refurb machines the first thing they get is a new cleancut!

There is no set speed and pressure, you have to make test cuts to find what is best for your cutter and the material you are using. I could give you speed and pressure settings, but my cutter is nothing like your cutter. These cutters have different speed and pressures.  And even the same models may vary.The first to do is set your blade correctly, That will determine your force setting.. and do test cuts from there  I always run my cutter slower anyway.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

There is no set speed and pressure, you have to make test cuts to find what is best for your cutter and the material you are using. I could give you speed and pressure settings, but my cutter is nothing like your cutter. These cutters have different speed and pressures.  And even the same models may vary.The first to do is set your blade correctly, That will determine your force setting.. and do test cuts from there  I always run my cutter slower anyway.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

strong advice right there

I'm struggling w/ weeding materials. It's taking way longer to weed the easyweed sometimes over others. I bought some generic vinyl from Sunie when I ordered my heat press just so I would have something to "play" with when it arrived. I have found easyweed as suggested on here is MUCH easier, but still has it's moments.

On the clean cut blades, can someone link me to the right website? I have googled it and I come up with a place in the Waterloo Iowa? It looks like from postings you have to order thru them and not the UK. I hope they make one for the laserpoint II. Does anyone know if they don't - if I can use an SC blade or Laserpoint?

Tammy

The blade listed for Roland will fit your LP2.

Jay

On the clean cut blades, can someone link me to the right website? I have googled it and I come up with a place in the Waterloo Iowa? It looks like from postings you have to order thru them and not the UK. I hope they make one for the laserpoint II. Does anyone know if they don't - if I can use an SC blade or Laserpoint?

Tammy

Yes, Waterloo, Iowa is the right place.  http://www.cleancutblade.com/   You'll be better off if you call them and ask for the forum discount at (866)-579-0963. 

• Like 1