wesdog

Chrome Vinyl

Hey guys and gals I bought some Oracal 351 Chrome the other day for a customer not knowing how thin and how much of a pain it is the weed and such. Is there a vinyl like Oracal 651 that is chrome colored like motorcycle or car parts? I didnt see any in my Oracal or 3M catologs. I saw another type on USCutter site but was unsure of it since never used it. The stuff I have is almost like a foil paper but looks good. Just wondering if the customer is gonna have trouble removing ap tape.

The only chrome I've used is ScheinChrome, which isn't technically "vinyl", it's a metallized polyester film that cuts like vinyl.  It's stiffer than vinyl so can only be used on very gentle curves, it has no conformity at all.

It looks really nice, but it is extremely susceptible to scratches - even wiping it with a paper towel can be enough to do so, so I can't really recommend it.

The Avery chrome, I use, is also a  metallized polyester film,  you have to up the force to get clean cuts with it.  

Honestly, I gave up on chrome (have the same you do).  It was difficult to weed without tearing, scratched super easy and the worst was REMOVAL.  It was next to impossible...heat, remover fluids, etc etc.  little.tiny.pieces.  I started using Oracal 751 090 - Silver Grey (Metallic).  It is not by any means a mirror finish, but has flecks of metallic and pretty easy to work with.  It was just for our logo, so I was ok with it. 

I really love using chrome the color, but not chrome the vinyl, lol.  But I might be interested in the Avery wrap?  If you try it, post some feedback :)

Same chrome I use...I don't like it...way too thin, scratches way too easy.  I don't have any problems weeding it, though.  Application can be a pain...I'd recommend low tack tape for it...wrinkles easily, too.  Think I may try the Avery that Mz. Skeeter mentioned.

I've used the Oracal and at 1 mil it is thin and it must be cut with a sharp blade. I do several car club logos at 22" for back windows and never found it to be overly hard to work with but removal is like any metalized material it tends to rip to shreds while taking it off. They have a 2 mil chrome which is way better to work with. I have in stock now and it seems much more stable to work with.

Creative Films PRIME SERIES Metallic Film-003 Polychrome Silver from USCutter.

• Like 1

Avery Chrome has a 1 year outdoor rating? 

FDC coburn chrome here - but yeh it scratches

5 years and 3 mil thick...that sounds pretty good!

• Like 1

Avery Chrome has a 1 year outdoor rating? 

5 years and 3 mil thick...that sounds pretty good!

had some on the back window of my truck for a couple of years - scratched some from going up and down but not real bad.  I am pretty impressed with it

• Like 1