Dakotagrafx

It's that time of the year again ladies and gents - winter heat = static

Just a reminder to turn those humidifiers on, get out the anti static spray or sheets if that is what you use and on the value cutters especially make sure your cutter stand is grounded to the cutter (MH people take note on this one).   Even though it doesn't need it in the winter I do have a ground wire to the stand even on the graphtec.  Humidifier is on high as it was starting to affect the printer - took a day to figure that one out!

It is that time of the year where we start seeing a lot of wacky cuts, fried z axis chips and mainboards so better to attack it early

• Like 3

I'm lazy so had a whole house aprilaire put in with the new furnace years ago - it senses the temp outside and adjust automatically so I love it - just have tot remember to open the dang damper and crank it higher first part of the season

I have a Bemis/Essick   whole house console humidifier that I like real well. I have had it 3 years now.   It's digital, and senses when to run according to what you set it.

Similar to this one..   But I got much cheaper thru auction.  You just have to search for good deals.  You could find a good used unit also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Essick-Air-427-300-2-Speed-Evaporative-Console-Humidifier-And-Air-Cleaner-/271222477908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f261e9454

• Like 1

As a newbie to the game, thank you Scott for starting this thread.  I will very definately put the grounding wire on my "to do" list for the weekend.

Cal

• Like 1

This may be a stupid question ,but how do you ground to the stand just a wire from the cutter to the stand??

Yeah just make sure both ends of the wire are contacting bare metal

I have a Bemis/Essick   whole house console that I like real well. I have had it 3 years now.   It's digital, and senses when to run according to what you set it.

Similar to this one..   But I got much cheaper thru auction.  You just have to search for good deals.  You could find a good used unit also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Essick-Air-427-300-2-Speed-Evaporative-Console-Humidifier-And-Air-Cleaner-/271222477908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f261e9454

I have a Kenmore one similar. Free from the in-laws.

The static build up is from the vinyl so not having a stand doesn't solve the problem. The reason you ground the stand is the vinly is in contact with the stand so the static can discharge through the stand to the ground. If you don't have a stand and you believe static is a problem you can ground the vinyl directly. Any metal making contacct with the vinyl and then a ground point will work. Static sensitive manufactures use something like this on carts. The floors in the buildings are typically coated with a conductive coating and the carts have a small chain that hang from them and drag on the flow thereby grounding the cart.