LPWash

4'' x 4' Snow Plowing signs

I came across this idea from guys on a snow plowing forum.  They slide down over the driveway markers.  My local guy wanted $15 each for 4" x 4' tall.  I'm not a sign guy, (or maybe I am now?), I'm just a handyman wanting some signs done.  After doing the math, I thought I would try doing it myself to save some green.  So this led me to buying 10 sheets of coroplast, a hand held coroplast cutter, reflective vinyl and a decent sized hot glue gun.  I've definitely gotten bit by the vinyl cutting bug.  And if it was one of you that out bid me on my dream cutter on Ebay last week, may it not give you years of satisfying glory.  LOL.   The more I look, the more I keep changing my mind on which new cutter I want.  Anyways, I wanted to post my little sign, and maybe give back like you guys do, with all the ideas.  These will be used during the snow season.  Probably just two at each property.  One side has as the picture shows.  The other side has the phone number.  The house is divided on if it should say 'snow plowing or my last name plowing.  My son says use name.  He says that's how all other signs are.  The wifey says just keep it snow plowing.  This town can get funny with me and my advertising.  They would probably leave me alone, but I tend to push the envelope.   ;D     

post-13201-0-69478100-1355874645_thumb.j

• Like 2

Not to be rude but just because you buy a cutter and some coroplast doesn't make you a sign guy. Just like just because i have a plunger doesn't make me a plumber either. I'll be straight up honest, Materials for the sign industry are generally very inexpensive, It's knowing how to do jobs and do them correctly, as well as the added value that a sign will give your business is what you are paying for. Just like with snow plowing. You can buy some rusty beat up plow on craigs list cheap and throw it on any beater truck but that doesn't make you a snow plowing professional by any means. 

It's funny every year it snows you see the companies with their trucks ready to go then you see all these beaters with plows on them and just shake your head.

Why is the W in SNOW thinner then the rest and PLOWING thicker than SNOW?

• Like 1

Not to be rude but just because you buy a cutter and some coroplast doesn't make you a sign guy.

You're right, that wasn't rude at all.  I was obviously joking about being an official sign guy after posting one-four inch wide sign.  

Just like just because i have a plunger doesn't make me a plumber either.

Depends on how big the clog was.  HAHA    

I'll be straight up honest, Materials for the sign industry are generally very inexpensive

I know, I just started buying some.  Even though I'm not an official sign guy, they still sold it to me.   

It's knowing how to do jobs and do them correctly, 

Nobody was born knowing how to do anything.  We were either taught or self taught.  That's why I'm here.    

as well as the added value that a sign will give your business is what you are paying for.

It's like one of my first posts my good man.  Why are you taking away my MoJo?  

Just like with snow plowing.

Now you're speaking my language.  

You can buy some rusty beat up plow on craigs list cheap and throw it on any beater truck but that doesn't make you a snow plowing professional by any means. 

If you're making it your living, it certainly does.  It just gives character.

It's funny every year it snows you see the companies with their trucks ready to go then you see all these beaters with plows on them and just shake your head.

Yeah I used to do that, then I grew up.  I realized a few things.  Just because they can't afford a brand new truck, doesn't make them any different.  They are out there working and trying to earn a buck, just like me.  They could easily be making more of a profit, due to their rusty old paid for truck and plow.   

Why is the W in SNOW thinner then the rest and PLOWING thicker than SNOW?

I guess it's because I'm not a professional sign guy yet.  I greatly enjoyed your positive post.  Insert some of your sarcasm there.  Hopefully you wake up tomorrow and not have poop on your Cheerios.  Happy Holidays.

• Like 3

Who typically installs the "Driveway Markers"? Do the businesses do it or the local government? I think it's a great advertising idea if they are all the same. I would go with your last name instead of snow or maybe both. "Name Snow Plowing". You may not be a sign guy yet, but is sounds like you at least found a new hobby that may work into more. That's how a lot of people get started.

• Like 1

Yeah I had some sh*t on my Cheerios this morning, Gives it a nice touch.

Too many people trying to ruin the industry because they don't want to pay for anything and think they can become one of us with a $300 cutter. All to save $15...

• Like 1

Who typically installs the "Driveway Markers"? Do the businesses do it or the local government? I think it's a great advertising idea if they are all the same. I would go with your last name instead of snow or maybe both. "Name Snow Plowing". You may not be a sign guy yet, but is sounds like you at least found a new hobby that may work into more. That's how a lot of people get started.

Jay:  The snow plow contractor installs the driveway markers to avoid hitting the curbs, tearing up the grass and marking things you don't want to hit with the plow.   Thanks for your input.  

jmiller:  I believe the reflective lettering is working against each other to appear different sizes.  

LPWash , Don't be put off ... I never have seen anybody start out being a " professional " !!! Everybody started not knowing much of anything when they started , no matter what occupation . It's not like there are an abundance of " Donald Trumps " of the sign cutting world in here anyway ............... Mostly people here started wanting a hobby & or beginning business adventure . Silly part , is that the companies that have spent $250K for a single machine thinks of all of us , as jmiller thinks of you . Many of those companies have many of those machines .... but of course whatever JMiller spent puts him above you & anybody else starting out  :rolleyes: . Plain RUDE IMO & not within the intentions of this forum's rules !!!

I missed your replies ( you should go back & highlight or make your answers bold ) , I agree with you in every case . Positive Karma to you , negative Karma to JMiller :lol: .

• Like 2

Yeah I had some sh*t on my Cheerios this morning, Gives it a nice touch.

Too many people trying to ruin the industry because they don't want to pay for anything and think they can become one of us with a $300 cutter. All to save $15...

I find 1 part of this hilarious & can't help but comment . I don't want to fuss about this anymore , always best to give an opinion & let everybody decide for themselves IMO ... BUT this is CRAZY humorous .... jmiller " liked " his own post ... & the hilarious part ... drum roll please ....  his rating is still  -1 . Karma !!!  :lol:  :angel:  :bear: 

Oh no my forum rating is -1, what ever will I do.

Not sure when I spent $250k on a machine but if I did I'd like to know where it is. I had a cutter then bought a printer years later. Sorry I'm more serious than buying a cheap $400 cutter...

Oh and that tacky blue cursive you post in makes all your posts hilarious to me ROFL

• Like 1

Oh no my forum rating is -1, what ever will I do.

Not sure when I spent $250k on a machine but if I did I'd like to know where it is. I had a cutter then bought a printer years later. Sorry I'm more serious than buying a cheap $400 cutter...

Oh and that tacky blue cursive you post in makes all your posts hilarious to me ROFL

I would say you need to vote for yourself MUCH more . voting for yourself still has your rating in the negative , just like your comment to LPWash !!!  :lol:  :angel:  :bear: 

Might help if you read what was typed ... I said " Silly part , is that the companies that have spent $250K for a single machine thinks of all of us , as jmiller thinks of you . Many of those companies have many of those machines .... but of course whatever JMiller spent puts him above you & anybody else starting out :rolleyes:  " .  That means some of those companies think of all of us ( OMG , EVEN you ) as you think of LPWash . That means you may have spent more than LPWash is planning to spend . He might take your input & spend much more to make the exact same thing ... ( btw , in your example ... I have never plowed snow with a new truck , the salt eats them up way too much . I use older trucks & make MUCH more money because the trucks cost much less & much less to replace , so my profit margain is MUCH higher . Seems you think that spending more makes a person more of a professional ... to each their own .

As part of my belief in Karma , I am going to " like " 1 of your posts , not because I actually like it , just to bring you out of the negative & give you the chance to be positive .... :ph34r:

Strange , I use Comic Sans , that is NOT a cursive font & I was sure a high powered big PRO like you would know the difference . I may have to call the Sign PRO union & report you ... I am glad the font & color is hilarious to you . I think life is better spent having humor & fun instead of demeaning people like you did to LPWash .

• Like 3

Now that i look at it, On my mobile device and tablet it's cursive blue, On my PC it's comic sans. Who knows but either one shouldn't be used.

http://www.comicsanscriminal.com

Spending more doesn't always make you more professional but if your trying to scrape by with buying things that are cheap on eBay and craigs list, What does that say about the product you will give to your customers? We are talking about a $15 sign here. I look at things all the time that are not in my price range but that doesn't mean i'm going into the business to make them myself. I can't afford a corvette Z06 but i'm not going to buy a Chevy Cavalier and replicate it lol

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jmiller" data-cid="295878" data-time="1356039194"><p><br />

Now that i look at it, On my mobile device and tablet it's cursive blue, On my PC it's comic sans. Who knows but either one shouldn't be used.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

<a href='<a href='http://www.comicsanscriminal.com'>http://www.comicsanscriminal.com</a>'><a href='http://www.comicsanscriminal.com'>http://www.comicsanscriminal.com</a></a><br /><br />

<br /><br />

Spending more doesn't always make you more professional but if your trying to scrape by with buying things that are cheap on eBay and craigs list, What does that say about the product you will give to your customers? We are talking about a $15 sign here. I look at things all the time that are not in my price range but that doesn't mean i'm going into the business to make them myself. I can't afford a corvette Z06 but i'm not going to buy a Chevy Cavalier and replicate it lol</p></blockquote>

Lol

• Like 1

What the heck is all the anger about? The OP is not even selling the signs, he's using them for his own business. Using what vinyls cutter do for our own purposes is the main reason why most of us bought them. I think he did great and he did it himself. Kudos!

As for the nasty comments, where the DISlike this post button???

And Merry Christmas to all!

• Like 4

Hey Bear ,

The dislike button was fun & fair ( I got plenty of them , strange as I consider myself the voice of reason & logic  :lol: ) . 1 guy had almost 1,000 dislikes ... I think that may have had something to do with it going MIA .

My guess is TUI .... ( typing under influence ) .

I have seen several forum changes ... 1 is the " warning posts " under the post count - User name . Some members have that , some don't ?? Also you can see who liked any posts you made in your profile . Probably more improvements I have not noticed yet . Great job USC & John !!! 1 thing I am missing is the " unread posts " button . Is there a personal setting to put that back ?

Best wishes to you & everybody else ( Christmas time & year round ) :lol:  :angel:  :bear: 

• Like 1

I believe the main reason for this forum is to help one another and we should do that with respect for the other people on the forum and the poster showing his/her first project of which they are rightly proud of . I think you will find many more hobby type cutters than professional sign writers on this forum and experienced cutters should hAve more patience with a newbie and give only constructive advice . We all started some where and I am sure most have had a little help learning......... myself most of my skills in cutting vinyl came from this forum .

• Like 7

Reality is we all started somewhere.  Can guarantee most of us didnt go right into business our first day with a cutter and started with projects like these snow plow markers.  I know I started with a low priced cutter because I was just teaching myself of my own projects about the sign business and researching how to do things and slowly moving forward.  Now I have 2 shops three cutters, and theres no job too big or small.  Welcome to the forum the markers look great and keep up learning on stuff cause ya know when ya stop learning something every day  your dead!  Thats the purpose of this forum to help each other and learn. 

As the space on this style of sign is limited and the most important part of the message is the service offered along with contact info; perhaps you'd do well to design a simple unique logo that can be associated with your truck and plowing business and then add it to the top.

For the DIY, the example you brought to this forum can be powerful; for the sign guy attempting to make a go at it, it offers little potential profit alone.

Welcome to the forum, hope you hang around after buying a cutter.

Hey Roger, I love your big blue font, easier to read!

Thanks , I can see yours better also :thumbsup:.

That's a great idea, why didn't I think of it, much easier to read.  I have saved up a bit of money and didn't
know what to blow it on either.  I figured photography is a bit too expensive for me and  will eventually get
into signage.

I'll start giving out free stickers and free signage to practice on and get my name out there, after
I'll have to under price everyone else, and after raise my price as business grows.

If I win the lotto I'll get me a VersaUV LEJ Hybrid UV-LED Flatbed Inkjet Printer or a VersaUV LEC Series UV Printer/Cutters
and I'll just sit home all day and design/print free posters and stickers all day.. too bad I don't believe in the lotto nor do I play it.

• Like 1