Sign in to follow this  
ff-extreme

Finished Fire Helmet

Here are a few pictures of the helmet we donated to our fire company dinner. Every year we make one and they raffle it off. In years passed my wife always hand painted one but this year we thought we would try wrapping it.

post-1960-12986549204303_thumb.jpg

post-1960-1298654920457_thumb.jpg

post-1960-129865492049_thumb.jpg

post-1960-12986549217846_thumb.jpg

post-1960-12986549218015_thumb.jpg

post-1960-12986549218245_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone! It took about 2 hrs from start to finish. I did not push it through a hoop ( but still want to try it that way). After thinking about it and hearing from a few people we treated it like a car mirror, lots of heat and stretching. it is one piece, has a seem up the back. Think of how you would make a cone shape with a sheet of paper. Now after all the guys and girls see it I'm sure we will be making more so I have to figure out a price for the future!

Thanks everyone! It took about 2 hrs from start to finish. I did not push it through a hoop ( but still want to try it that way). After thinking about it and hearing from a few people we treated it like a car mirror, lots of heat and stretching. it is one piece, has a seem up the back. Think of how you would make a cone shape with a sheet of paper. Now after all the guys and girls see it I'm sure we will be making more so I have to figure out a price for the future!

"Lots of heat" applied to this safety device.  OOH?

Now I have a problem, the curve of the helmet where the top meets the brim lifted up creating a giant air bubble almost all the way around the helmet. We tried lifting it off to the bubble and using 3m spray glue 80 (made for rubber and vinyl) and it destroyed the image. I guess the glue ate thru the vinyl and when we stretched it the image screwed up. Any thoughts on what to use to "glue" down the hard curve?

Argh!  That sucks. 

I have found that it is usually easier to cut your losses on something like that.  It will probably never stick now.  If you are able to, you might want to pull the whole wrap off and start over.

Check your supplier for a spray adhesive that is designed for wraps to do cracks and crevices. It will help eliminate this problem.

I figured that i need to start over so I took it all off. I need it done by Saturday so I will call my supplier but if anyone has any other ideas lets hear them!

Crappy It looked sweet I have a friend that does fire helmets but its all air brush.

Good luck!!! It was going in the right direction for sure. Very nice look!!

Keith