i posted this on saturday and really havent gotten any responses so ill try here.  give me your suggestions on what to do next.  i think that the board that the usb plugs into its bad.  refine mh 721 SBE windows XP.  worked fine then just quit.  does a test cut fine.  when you are connected by USB alone it does not show up in ports.  Tried diff cable, diff, port, same result.  bought a serial to USB adpt and that would show up in ports but still got an error message.  This all leads me to think that the board is out. i have left message by PM, phone, and email with USC.  I am waiting to hear from Levi today but would like your advice.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,10149.0.html

It could be, I've seen that happen. But I"ve seen the same thing happen for all kinds of reasons. My brother had his settings change once for no reason at all.

The man to help you is Ken but I haven't seen him on since Monday...he could be off sick or even one of his kids might be sick.

Eventually someone will help you.

I assume you have already checked to make sure the baud rate is the same on the cutter and the software?

well i got some help from levi.  sounds like motherboard.  i ordered a new one and tried to use 2 day shipping so it would make it here this week but for some reason it charged me for ground.  Hopefully we can fix that before they send the part out

new motherboard came today. i installed it and got the same error message.  whats next?

I have to ask...does anything else work with USB on the same port on your computer?

If so, and the new motherboard didn't fix it,what you need is for someone to walk you through the set-up, step-by-step. If the cutter cuts a test cut,it is working as it should. The problem is communication and unless you were unlucky enough to get 2 bad motherboards,the problem lies in your computer, or the settings.

I have to ask...does anything else work with USB on the same port on your computer?

If so, and the new motherboard didn't fix it,what you need is for someone to walk you through the set-up, step-by-step. If the cutter cuts a test cut,it is working as it should. The problem is communication and unless you were unlucky enough to get 2 bad motherboards,the problem lies in your computer, or the settings.

yep my printer and camera both work on that port.  on my refine there is to boards one where everythign connects and the mother board.

i tired everything that USC had me do the first time before they decided it was the motherboard

FatDad,

Could you list everything that you have done to correct the issue as of now?

I just want to clarify, are you using XP or Vista?

I have a pc with Vista (not running my cutter), and every time my son plugs his iPod in the usb, it loses drivers and redirects ports.  I don't know why, I just fix it every time. (No time to investigate why this is happening on that machine)

did you do anything to your puter like restore, I did that once and had to re-install the driver. The other post you said you were going to try it on a different puter you do that?

yep my printer and camera both work on that port.  on my refine there is to boards one where everythign connects and the mother board.

I hate to point out the obvious, but if the connection isn't being made,you replaced the wrong board.  Not your fault, I know..but it sure sounds to me like the problem is in the connection. And you had it right in the beginning.

I don't remember if you said,but is the computer a laptop or desktop?

im running a desktop with xp.  have tried different cables and ports, have tried different computer all with the same results.  the machine does a test cut fine. to me it sounds like i just through $50 out the window.  For those asking, this cutter arrived at my doorstep june 11th this year

If you have a desktop with an open PCI slot,you can get serial card for about $20. Everyone that I have advised to forget usb and try serial has had success.

If you have tried a serial cable on another PC with no luck,then I would bet my Captain America secret Decoder Ring that the connection board is bad. But, you have a spare motherboard...might need it eventually.

If you know someone with an older laptop with serial, borrow it, load SB trial,and see what happens.

Fat Dad I do not believe that the problem is in the PC! It sounds like it is more of a plotter issure that has created a comunication error or the plotters usb input has went bad. This happens time to time with plotters. I would look to see how your fuses are doing in the plotter and blow out the USB input on your plotter, then try a shielded usb cable.

Keep us informed with this situation!!

fuse is fine.  John, my question is why would i spend more $ to fix a problem that didnt exist 2 weeks ago.  there has to be somethign wrong with the plotter for it to no longer work the same way it has teh last 3 months.  ive tried a usb to serial adapt and that doesnt work so im guessing that the communication board has to be bad.  It irks me that i had to spend overnight shipping to get it in 2 days($45.00 non refundable) pay for the mother board up front ($80.00 refundable) pay to ship the part back ($ who knows) all for something that is 4 months old.  Now i have to do the same thing for another part.  Why cant USC warranty the their parts like everyone else.  send the part on their dime, take your CC info and if you dont send the part back charge you (also on them).  after this setback  ive been look at other options as now i am losing jobs due to the plotter not working.  I work from 6am to 5pm so by the time i get home they are gone.

I agree..it sure sounds like the communication board is bad. But that's what YOU THOUGHT TO BEGIN WITH. YOu made the right call. I don't think you should have to pay return shipping but that is US Cutter policy. Send it back via Priority flat rate envelope if it will fit.

Warranty on parts...well, I suppose they do but not forever... you had the cutter at least 3 months, I have no idea how much longer. I don't see an easy way out of this unless you can convince Ken or someone to give you a break. After all,the bad motherboard diagnosis was (correct me if I am wrong) made with the help of a US Cutter employee,was it not?

I agree..it sure sounds like the communication board is bad. But that's what YOU THOUGHT TO BEGIN WITH. YOu made the right call. I don't think you should have to pay return shipping but that is US Cutter policy. Send it back via Priority flat rate envelope if it will fit.

Warranty on parts...well, I suppose they do but not forever... you had the cutter at least 3 months, I have no idea how much longer. I don't see an easy way out of this unless you can convince Ken or someone to give you a break. After all,the bad motherboard diagnosis was (correct me if I am wrong) made with the help of a US Cutter employee,was it not?

yes it was Levi that "took control" of my computer and tried a few things and said that the mother board was bad.  the cutter arrived on my door steps june 11th of this year.  When i look on the USC website i dont even see that part that i need listed.  The old mother boards were an all in one package with the usb built in it looks like but my motherboard and connection boards are separate.

I don;t know if tomorrow is a holiday at US Cutter but shoot Ken a PM with your phone # and a good time to call. I think you need to talk to him.

I don't remember how much warranty comes with the copam cutters i bought ( I'm thinking it was 1 year ? ) . I bought the extra year @ $99 each on both & recently ( hindsight is 20-20  ;D ) decided I should have passed on the extra warranty since I have never needed anything . Guess it's a roll of the proverbial dice . It's been over 1 year already .

It doesn't sound like you bought the extra warranty & the warranty that came with your cutter has expired , but until you spend what the extra warranty costs , you are still ahead .  :huh:

Rodger

I don't remember how much warranty comes with the copam cutters i bought ( I'm thinking it was 1 year ? ) . I bought the extra year @ $99 each on both & recently ( hindsight is 20-20  ;D ) decided I should have passed on the extra warranty since I have never needed anything . Guess it's a roll of the proverbial dice . It's been over 1 year already .

It doesn't sound like you bought the extra warranty & the warranty that came with your cutter has expired , but until you spend what the extra warranty costs , you are still ahead .  :huh:

Rodger

no they will warranty the part that is needed the consumer just has to pay for  the shipping both was thats all.  you have 3 options. 1 send whole machine in for repair. 2 send part in for repair. 3 pay for part and when you send broken part back in you get refunded the part price.  option 3 is the fastest way to get your machine back up and running most times.

the sad fact of it is that almost everything I ever bought required ME to pay postage for warranty service. Some states have laws in place that void this and require the seller to pay shipping.

However...get this... I had an EMachine computer once that the power supply went bad... EMachines overnighted me a new Power Supply,no questions asked,and told me to throw the old one away. Now,THAT is customer service.

Rodger

no they will warranty the part that is needed the consumer just has to pay for  the shipping both was thats all.  you have 3 options. 1 send whole machine in for repair. 2 send part in for repair. 3 pay for part and when you send broken part back in you get refunded the part price.  option 3 is the fastest way to get your machine back up and running most times.

That is disappointing . I don't know if that is usual business practice in the industry or not , but paying both ways sucks ( seems 1 way would be fair ) . I would feel ripped , but still would think I made a good decision buying from USCutter because of the tech help & HUGE savings . I bought 2 cutters from them because i was within minutes of placing an order with SignWarehouse . I got 2 copams for less than 1/2 of what the other deal was .

We pay for shipping you the new part if you send us the defective part first, so that only makes you responsible for shipping one way. We also do not require a deposit if you send the defective part back first.

You wanted the new part first, and you wanted fast shipping service, and this is the only reason you had to pay more than a little postage to send the defective board back.

I am sorry to hear that the unit still has the same issue. Did you replace the motherboard AND the I/O board, or just the motherboard?

Pretty sure he only replaced the motherboard and not the I/O board. I apologize for this.