ataylor19

Help with reflective vinyl

A local police department just called and wanted me to put some letters on 3 crown Vic’s and 1 ford explorer. I did the letters on the next town overs cars a few year ago but they just wanted regular vinyl and this one requested reflective. I have never even played around with reflective vinyl before so I’m absolutely clueless about the different kinds and was wondering if anyone that knows a little more than me can point me in the direction of which one to get and any tips on what to do or what not to do would be very much appreciated. 

There are several different manufacturers for reflective vinyl, and several different grades. Because it's going on vehicles, you're going to want to go with one that has some longevity to is, because you're not going to want to scrap it and replace it in a couple of years.  Reflective vinyl doesn't not come off easily.  Different manufacturers have different names for their different types of reflective material, there's going to be a learning curve to this - both informational, and application.

And even the cheapest reflective is 3 or 4 times more expensive than normal vinyl. I have used Oralite Engineering grade, and some 3M stuff all though I don't remember the specific type. They were not bad to work with, but not the easiest either. They have a metallic layer so they dull a blade very quickly and require a bit more force to cut through. They vinyl also tends to tear easier while weeding so you have to go a bit slower and take your time. Also, reflective should NOT be put on using a wet method. 

What ever you charged per car for the first town, double or even triple it if using reflective.