Spam on Maui

Graphtec 6000-40 Plus: stopped die cutting, blades dulling fast

Hello!

We've got a job where we were die-cutting and halfway through it stopped cutting through the paper.

Yesterday we tried adjusting blade depth but that didn't work. Blade looked dull so we replaced blade with a new, sharp one. It worked for a little while then stopped cutting through. Checked the new blade and it was quite dulled out.

Today we tried another new blade, scaled back the blade depth and pressure, and while it took us the equivalent of 9 passes it started working again. Started up again aaaand... it stopped once more. The new blade also went down by 2 points.

Not sure what's going on - we're not doing anything differently than before. We are using the CB15U blades like we've done for years. We've diecut jobs on 15 point sythentic, laminated 10 point synthetic, 130# Cover, all the way down to 67# Bristol. We've had our Graphtec for a few years and normally it's been a real champ. We've contacted service but so far haven't heard back yet.

Many people on here use Clean Cut blades and swear by them,  I personally use Seiki blades for my Graphtec and get 8-10 months cutting sign vinyl.  Plus they are much cheaper at 5 blades for around $25 free ship out of, Sparks, Nevada. I don't cut paper. 

And just a matter of terminology, you're not die cutting. Die cutting means you use a die to cut. A cookie cutter, for example, could be considered a die cutter. 

And just a matter of terminology, you're not die cutting. Die cutting means you use a die to cut. A cookie cutter, for example, could be considered a die cutter. 

Gotcha, thank you! I'm just calling it what the boss has been calling it. 

I've finally got a hold of Ricardo at Graphtec. He's thinking "it might be an issue with the Pen Block or the Driver for the Pen Block which is located on the Main Board of the CE6000-40 Plus." so that's what we're investigating now.

Many people on here use Clean Cut blades and swear by them,  I personally use Seiki blades for my Graphtec and get 8-10 months cutting sign vinyl.  Plus they are much cheaper at 5 blades for around $25 free ship out of, Sparks, Nevada. I don't cut paper. 

Oh? I'll have to look into those, thank you :)

Update!

Since we're in Hawai'i, Graphtec recommended that we check with a local authorized repair shop rather than send the whole thing to continental US. We called up the recommended shop and after hearing of our issue asked, "when did you last replace the plunger?" They noted that those can stop working, preventing the blade from spinning/rotating.

We ordered a new plunger from them and we're back in business! We finished out the 15mil synthetic job and are getting through the 10mil job as I write this. The old plunger has been marked and is still good enough for most of our paper jobs.

I did let the boss know about the other blades you folks recommended. Thank you :)

• Like 2

What are you calling the "plunger"?   Are you talking about the blade holder, that holds the blade? 

This?   If so, you should keep spares as well as many blades.  Much cheaper to buy on Ebay and they are mostly metal.  Last I picked up were  metal and work fine.  I got mine for $9.99. a few years back.   Now I see plus $10 and up. 

https://uscutter.com/graphtec-0-9mm-blue-tip-blade-holder-for-cb09-blades/

blade holder.jpg

Glad you are back in action. Sometimes it's the simplest things. I wore out a blade holder myself and likewise had a bit of time trying to figure out what the hay was going on.