Sign in to follow this  
security802

Bored, made a hat

nice but you have to much pressure on the front with the car you can see the press burn or your hats are the cheap ones. to eliminate that you don't have to clamp down on the hat just let it barely sit on top of the hat and design for the same amount of time. also try siser brick on it you'll love it.

• Like 3

Thanks djque, been fighting with this cap press since day one, will try that on the next one. I usually cover with cover sheet and put my hot glove on and "rub" it smooth

• Like 1

Nice hat EL  and yes i have had the same issue with the press mark on my hats. so tried not clamping down and seen the problem fade away. Now what would be recommended temp for hats

You want to be the same temp as for a shirt. You might also be able to take a knife and trim a slight bevel to the foam of the lower platen to help soften the edge a bit. A lot of these things can be rubbed out if you do it right when you pull it off the press while it's still hot. I use an old Hot One stahls hat press and typically use the smallest lower platen available. My other lower is the standard size and I have yet to find a hat it actually fits very well. The little skinny one is supposed to be fr kids caps but it's all I use. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

You want to be the same temp as for a shirt. You might also be able to take a knife and trim a slight bevel to the foam of the lower platen to help soften the edge a bit. A lot of these things can be rubbed out if you do it right when you pull it off the press while it's still hot. I use an old Hot One stahls hat press and typically use the smallest lower platen available. My other lower is the standard size and I have yet to find a hat it actually fits very well. The little skinny one is supposed to be fr kids caps but it's all I use. 

The more I look at the lower it sticks out past the upper, so will trim it at an angle . Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, security802 said:

The more I look at the lower it sticks out past the upper, so will trim it at an angle . Thanks

I have seen pics where people have chopped the whole lower platen down a bit including the aluminum behind the pad. 

• Like 1