Sign in to follow this  
ksn4p

Copyright Question

I designed a shirt with the phrase "Life Behind Bars", it also says " Sentenced to" above it in the design. I've shown alot of people and they all ask me where they can buy one. Since I am in Canada I checked the Canadian Intellectual Property website for "life behind bars" and there are 2 trademarks. Does this mean I can't use the phrase?

I'm not expert but it really depends upon what the trademark / copyright is for. 

To be honest this is like a dog chasing it's tail. You can search and search determine an item is "clean" to sell..... a few years down the road someone copyrights it and then you can no longer sell it ( without a fight that is )...

Best advice is to research the copyright and see what it covers.

It's just frustrating, I understand a logo or name but where does it stop. Could I trademark coffee then no one can put coffee on anything?

• Like 1

I also think there are a lot of implications as to just how the trademark is marketed for instance, with the coffee scenario. If you came up with some unique look and did in fact trademark it I think it may matter if you then just sit on it and try to sell the thing to someone vs dumping 100 million into full on advertising selling coffee or whatever. That expense and effort would imbue the trademark with value. Harley D is a great example of this or possible even more similar would be Jeep. The term Jeeping is technically trademarked because Jeep has been involved from day 1 and for a while they were really cracking down on the use of the term. I haven't seen as much about it lately, I tend to think it was casting them in a negative light to be whining about it and maybe they pulled in their horns a bit. 

Of course you are in Canada so your country's laws may differ than here in the states and I imagine there are also a plethora of overlapping world wide laws out there too so unless you are in China, Mexico or N Korea you probably have to be careful. Ha ha!

I made the design on inkscape and it has nothing to do with motorcycle/bikes/ anything with wheels. I didn't copy any designs it was pretty much straight from my imagination lol.

I had a so called company send me a warning on that I was in violation of their trademarked phrase...  What I had up, was not their logo phrase at all. Similar. but not.  I told them you do not own this, and asked for their registration number,   They tried to claim  they own anything "similar".   SO I looked it up.  And I fired right back at them,,   Their trademark was dated 2013,,  And I showed them a screenshot of my ad, which from my side..Which clearly showed it was posted to Ebay 2012.  And then I showed them the PDF of the disc this design phrase came from, with a copyright date of 2006.. LOL  Never got a response back on that!!!!   Imagine that...

I don't actually have a business going yet, I have been thinking about starting a small one while I am in school. I just want to do it properly, and not use any trademarks. I wonder if because it says "sentenced to life behind bars" rather than "life behind bars" if it makes a difference. I just want to make some shirts and not end up in court lol.

I still have it  They sent this   2/01/2015..

You are here by notified of a Cease & Assist order that will be filed against you, if you do not to remove this item from your E-Bay store because of a Registered Trademark violation and are hereby instructed to stop producing and destroy all remaining decals and sales of this item or face possible finds for similarity violations of a Registered Trademark of the USA. If you have any questions about this notice, Contact: DQ Sales, LLC @ 850-458-5709 (QUIT YOUR BITCHIN, I'M GOING FISHIN DECAL)

- qd-157

My Trademark Reg. No. 4,339,719 which also states that the slogan you are selling is in similarity to the same context of mine which is a violation also. I will contact (the seller of art work) also and inform them also. Just trying to give you the heads up before other action is taken. Thank You for your reply and have a nice day.  

ME:
Yes the phrase NO BITCHIN' JUST FISHIN was registerd on 5/21/2013... BUT my phrase and ad has been up on EBAY LONG before it was a registered phrase....JUST a heads up...Ad was posted and has remained up on EBAY since...MARCH 27, 2012....Long before your name NO BITCHIN' JUST FISHIN was registered . Screenshot of ad enclosed. As well as (the seller of art work) sold this artwork before your name NO BITCHIN' JUST FISHIN" was ever registered...Have a great day...

This was the company that sent the warning,  They acted like they owned everything that had to do with fishin and bitchin  LOL

• Like 1

I still have it  They sent this   2/01/2015..

You are here by notified of a Cease & Assist order that will be filed against you, if you do not to remove this item from your E-Bay store because of a Registered Trademark violation and are hereby instructed to stop producing and destroy all remaining decals and sales of this item or face possible finds for similarity violations of a Registered Trademark of the USA. If you have any questions about this notice, Contact: DQ Sales, LLC @ 850-458-5709 (QUIT YOUR BITCHIN, I'M GOING FISHIN DECAL)

- qd-157

My Trademark Reg. No. 4,339,719 which also states that the slogan you are selling is in similarity to the same context of mine which is a violation also. I will contact (the seller of art work) also and inform them also. Just trying to give you the heads up before other action is taken. Thank You for your reply and have a nice day.  

ME:
Yes the phrase NO BITCHIN' JUST FISHIN was registerd on 5/21/2013... BUT my phrase and ad has been up on EBAY LONG before it was a registered phrase....JUST a heads up...Ad was posted and has remained up on EBAY since...MARCH 27, 2012....Long before your name NO BITCHIN' JUST FISHIN was registered . Screenshot of ad enclosed. As well as (the seller of art work) sold this artwork before your name NO BITCHIN' JUST FISHIN" was ever registered...Have a great day...

This was the company that sent the warning,  They acted like they owned everything that had to do with fishin and bitchin  LOL

"cease and ASSIST"??  LMMFAO

I would've told them to eff off right then & there.

"cease and ASSIST"??  LMMFAO

I would've told them to eff off right then & there.

I know they can't spell and don't know the terms...   I see I misspelled a word or 2 myself.

I designed a shirt with the phrase "Life Behind Bars", it also says " Sentenced to" above it in the design. I've shown alot of people and they all ask me where they can buy one. Since I am in Canada I checked the Canadian Intellectual Property website for "life behind bars" and there are 2 trademarks. Does this mean I can't use the phrase?

I made a few tshirts with that slogan 2yrs ago.for dirtbike friend

post-42519-0-50409500-1454642326_thumb.j

I am always reminded of a guy named Uzi Nissan, who owned a computer company.

Wanna read the details?

Nissan.com

Ksn4p - There is also a big difference behind trademark and copyright. There is a plethora of info out there to research. Some of the terms with copyright include works that are a derivative or "inspired by" someone else idea, etc... Bottom line is (at least in the USA) if you have an original idea and design it then it's automatically copyrighted to you. You might want to record somehow the date you did the work etc... For trademark you have to apply for coverage and register things and pay money. I have not gone through that process but a friend of mine did his business logo and said they also did a cursory check that he wasn't infringing on anyone else with his trademark application before they gave him his registration or license. 

You also need to remember that we are mostly regular Joe's like yourself and not attorneys.