Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Other people's graphic designers...

I got a call from a local customer I've done a lot of buttons for in the past.  They're starting a new prime rib special at their hotel and wanted some buttons made for the staff to wear to promote it but they want their graphic designer to do the artwork for me, they just need specs for how big, etc.

No problem, they want the 2.25" buttons, so I tell them to make a 2.75" design with all of the important parts of the design in the center 2.25" - the outside .25" border wraps around the sides and back of the button, so color it to match or bleed your picture outside the 2.25" circle so it looks good and doesn't leave a harsh edge...

This is what I got.  Do you see a .25" bleed around the design?  Do you see an ugly purple border?  Do you see how ugly and grainy the text is?  Do you see how someone downloaded a picture off of Google Image Search without checking for copyrights?

post-24492-0-82103600-1448316578_thumb.j

I imported it, trimmed off that ugly purple border and then added a gradient fill behind it to bleed around the edges and back and came up with this.  Quarter for scale.  I don't know about, but if I'm a female staff member, I don't want someone squinting at my chest trying to read that fine print at the bottom...

post-24492-0-18652500-1448316652_thumb.p

I'm sending the second pic to the client to see if they want me to even bother making them while they look like this...

Welcome to my world!

As a print shop we get all sorts of customer created files.

Posters, Business Cards, etc.  designed in WORD,WORKS, Excel or PowerPoint.

Not proportional, low resolution raster graphics, type running way too

close to the paper edges.

And they think they saved money "designing" it themselves.

We try to do the best and make their designs look better if possible.

I want some PRIME RIB!

Sue2

Stuff that was in someone's pocket and went through the washing machine is great.  That happened to me once at an old job.  Only surviving picture of the logo they wanted.

They're not going in the Lourve... They're 'Throw-aways".

Give them to them like they gave them to you.

We notice the shortcomings.. few others will.

Or be their 'Graphic Designer' for free... Your choice.

I want some PRIME RIB!

Sue2

Maybe I should arrange payment in prime rib...

• Like 2

If you're a female server and in staring at your chest......

I work as a bartender, part-time on weekends, and I wear one of these on my left suspender strap...

post-24492-0-60626900-1448329750_thumb.j

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Programmable-Scrolling-MSD-LED-Name-Badge-LED-Display-12x48-pixels-5-Colors-/191544445080?hash=item2c98f04898:g:kB0AAOSwpDdVE2ba

I have it programmed with a series of simple messages that scroll across, and even at 25% brightness, the green letters are visible from all the way across the restaurant and I'm constantly having to tell people, "Hey, my eyes are up here!"

I haven't done any craft or gift shows recently, but I will definitely wear it when I do - it really draws people's attention!

• Like 2

attachicon.gifbutton proof.png

I'm sending the second pic to the client to see if they want me to even bother making them while they look like this...

I guess there is no accounting for taste.  The original order was for 15, but they like it so much they now want 50 instead...

• Like 4

I guess there is no accounting for taste.  The original order was for 15, but they like it so much they now want 50 instead...

Consider this...whatever the design, it did it's job...

made us all want... B E E F!

prime-rib-roast-recipes-s600x600.jpg

Mmmm.....mmmmmm.......

Sue2