Sign in to follow this  
dcbevins

TC Cutter Heat Transfer Vinyl

I have a TC cutter and am having a recurring cutting problem, predominately with Heat Transfer Vinyl.

I am loading 15" Siser EasyWeed rolls.  The 15" material loaded from the default Origin hits three pinch rollers.  The first two being very close together.  The problem that seems to mostly happen with HTV loaded is the vinyl will bunch up, lift and not stay flat.  This causes distortions in cutting.  Also, If in the cutting software I use a weeding box, often the right edge of the vinyl will be caught by the blade, lifting it up and trashing the cut.  The blade lifts the vinyl from right to left as it lifts.  This causes a wad of vinyl to just traitorously bunch around the blade and I have to turn the machine off.

If I work my fingers fast enough, I can push and hold on the left edge of the vinyl to prevent the weeding box problem.  I am not sure why this just seems to happen with HTV.

I really need some suggestions.  It is bad enough that I am thinking of trashing the whole cutter.

Have you tried with only 2 pinch rollers?  Like move the far left pinch roller away out of the job, and move the 2nd pinch roller to where the 3rd pinch roller was? Aren't they movable along your cutter? So you only have 1 pinch roller on each side...Nothing in the middle...  I have a 30" Graphtec and we only have 2 pinch rollers and it works perfect...

They are movable.  I will try with the middle one out.  

I wish it could handle scraps better.

Get a cutting mat that is typically used with the craft cutters. Even taping vinyl to a piece of printer paper helps sometimes.

I use only two pinch rollers on my HTV and never have a problem. I set them just inside the outside edge. 

I also cut pieces that are only four inches long by 6 inches wide.

Remember HTV is not truly 15 inches. If your mat is set at 15, this could be causing the blade to go off the end.post-86481-0-49855700-1434069696_thumb.p

The TC uses a suction fan as well to hold the media flat. Make sure it's still working for you.

You know all the other stuff to check, Sharp Blade, Too much Blade, Slower speed, etc.

I think you've had this cutter for a while... was it performing correctly with HTV before?

Try just 2 rollers... If the suction is working, that should be plenty.

I used mine often with just the 2 pinch rollers on small pieces.

It has always done this with regards to a weeding box and HTV.  Only recently has it started "crunching" up with HTV, even with the weeding box disabled.

I have never payed much attention to the suction.  There are "air holes" along the unit.  I could never feel the suction with just my fingers.  Placing a sheet of paper over the wholes one can feel a slight effect, but I don't know of a way to test.

I haven't tried with two rollers just yet.  I need to order some more HTV so it might be a day or two.