express2100

Used press questions

I am looking at a mid 90's Mighty Press and have a few questions. Model # MPCL - Serial # 12975

Would this be a good first press?

Should I be worried about a few scratches in the coating on the upper platen? 

Any common issues to look for when I see it in person?

I plan on bringing a high quality IR Temp gun to check for even heat. 

post-85196-0-29270900-1431442660_thumb.j

post-85196-0-13122500-1431442670_thumb.j

Scratches are nor wear and tear on any older machine. Mine has tons and it doesn't seem to affect it any.

• Like 1

Mighty Press is one still supported by Stahls' for parts and should be a pretty good press. Like Jaybird said I wouldn't worry about a scratch. Looks like it has an old school twist timer which is a little more of a pain for mass production but bullet proof for longevity. 

• Like 2

Walmart has a little magnetic kitchen timer that I use in my screen print area. Just set the time and click start when you close the press and and when it's done.

• Like 2

HERE HERE boys and girls! look who's in the press world now!!! :) Looking forward to playing with this new clam. (get your heads out of the gutter) Ha Ha

Now I need to gather up the necessities. Are you all going to make me search the forums or help me fill in the blanks? Guess we'll see. Here is my list:

Siser HTV

Silicone cover for the lower

Parchment paper

A press pillow or two

A magnetic timer (thanks jaybird)

A see-through T square? (is it really necessary? I do know how to run a tape)

Blank onesies and T's

Starting with the onesies because I have a BABY BOY due in October :) :) :)

Anything else? Besides MIRROR MIRROR MIRROR?

Ha ha! You are going to have FUN! I love having a press! You don't HAVE to have a see through square. I use a see through ruler that is about 6" wide. Same one I use for final trimming around decals so the edges are square and even. If you fold and crease the center of your shirt it will be easier to align your HTV on there straight. You'll probably have to play around and come up with a system that works best for you. I never could eyeball them very good so I used the ruler aligned with the center crease to square it up and figure out center or offset for small crest prints on the left breast. I eventually bought the laser alignment system which is freakin' awesome (and a bit expensive) but I turn out hundreds of shirts a week and gain a lot from the time saved in production. 

You might want to grab an infrared heat thermometer just to check the temperature. I found even my $1800 Fusion was off and needed adjusting.  305 deg for sister easy weed. 12-15 sec at medium pressure then hot peel. The stuff is awesome. I also like the stretch variant for use on stretchy clothing. 

• Like 2

Walmart has a little magnetic kitchen timer that I use in my screen print area. Just set the time and click start when you close the press and and when it's done.

which one do you have I been looking for one for months and just went to walmart and got one but it was for outdoors and didnt have a setting for minutes.

which one do you have I been looking for one for months and just went to walmart and got one but it was for outdoors and didnt have a setting for minutes.

Look in the kitchen section.

Yep kitchen gadgets maybe 2 inches square and silver. Goes down to 1 second and way up in minutes. I had a hard time finding a timer that went down to seconds.

• Like 1

I will be using Siser Easy Weed which calls for medium pressure. How am I to determine what "medium" is on this machine? There really are no reference points.

I have been spoiled with the new Fusion that actually has a pressure gauge. Without a gauge I think it falls to a feel thing that will become more comfortable as you go along. Light will still cam over the handle and lock down but won't be hard. Medium should have a noticeable lock as you cam over and take a little effort and high will be even more. My old press, now a back-up had four springs that were part of the attachment of the upper platen that I used to gauge. I had a 15" HIX for a while and it was all feel but by then I had a good idea what to expect. I am regularly having to back off my pressure on the Fusion so I think I tend to naturally want to over-do it but then I'm a 6"4" construction worker so it comes with the territory. Medium to me would be a decent amount of force applied to cam over the handle without feeling like it was excessive. You'd be surprised how much force those things generate. IF I have a  seam or something and choose not to use a press pillow then I may put a little extra effort on it to make sure the silicon rubber on the lower platen gets exercised enough to put pressure in the right place. Another good way to get an idea is if you have a press pillow and you compress it a little over half way that is right about medium on my Fusion so maybe that will help you get a feel. 

I good way to tell with Siser (AFTER you verify the correct temperature) is to look for the fabric weave to show through your vinyl at least a little bit. The Siser rep is on here once in a while and they will tell you that's probably more than you need but it is good insurance that the vinyl will stay put for life. 

• Like 1

I need to get a pic of mine but it is similar but I think mine was a few bucks cheaper.

Yeah if you can see the fabric imprint you can be pretty sure you got it on there good.

You can pick up countdown timers at Dollar Tree also. $1.00!!!

Until then...1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi..........

But you have to be able to count that high....................................

them Mississippis can get confusing!

:blink:

I lose count and start over. Burned too many shirts that way so it became cheaper to buy the timer