Sign in to follow this  
3barefoot

Cutter disconnecting

Any clues as to what is wrong?? I have a US cutter  SC plotter.. Of course its over a year old. I can be cutting something and in the middle of cutting my computer makes the sound as if something has been hooked up or disconnected. It started last week so I went out and got a new UBS cable and that fixed it for a week to this day. I have my rollers on cardboard "been this way for a year" as it said before that carpet can cause it to disconnect.. It's driving me CRAZY!!

Have you tried a different usb port?

Yes I have used different usb ports on my computer.

The Keyspan Adapter end that plugs into your computer is USB,,,,Then your null modem cable plugs to the serial end,  then that end to your vinyl cutter.

Best Buy had one the day I went and got a new USB cable... But theirs was $80

Yes,  Tripplite is the brand name.  Keyspan Adapter....  Or a Belkin will work.....Prices vary.   Other just don't work for a vinyl cutter.

Might be the input card on the right hand side. Mine did that. Come to find out, my 4 year old tripped over the cable. It's an easy swap.

Might be the input card on the right hand side. Mine did that. Come to find out, my 4 year old tripped over the cable. It's an easy swap.

Thanks for the info. I have bought the cables and the keyspan. Just got them in yesterday, but I do not have time to mess with them till Monday so fingers crossed. If it doesn't work I will be getting back in touch with you.

Be interesting if it works with the Keyspan adapter AFTER you've already been using it for 1 year! Hope it works for you :) !!!

I loaned my lp2 out and although I never needed a keyspan adapter with it when we hooked it up to their computer it went to crap. Guessing some pcs send info at a different rate that messes with the cutter but the keyspan fixed the problem. BTW I did check to makes sure it wasn't on a USB 3.0 port.

• Like 1

BTW I did check to makes sure it wasn't on a USB 3.0 port.

I was wondering about that....This is the 1st computer where I have the old 2.0 and then new 3.0 USB ports... Right now I have it hooked up to the 3.0

Some budget machines don't like the 3.0 from my experience but the upper end machine don't seem to care either way.

• Like 1

Well I got the keyspan out the box and the cable that came with it... and ALL my LUCK it's the wrong cable! So I'm still going with USB right now till I get to Best Buy to buy a new cable.

Please provide some photos of what you received, THe Tripplite Keyspan Adapter should come with a USB end to it , like this photo,,, USB end goes into your computer. Then you connect a Null modem serial cable to the serial end of the Keyspan Adapter, then to your cutter serial connection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIPP-LITE-USA-19HS-keyspan-high-speed-usb-serial-adapter-/131433223784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9a07d668