SeeJaysPlace

3d Printers

So, I have just bought my first 3d printer, waiting for it to come tomorrow!

So i was on youtube and found this video..

This guy may make a lot doing 3d printing or just has to much money or to much time on his hands..

but it was kinda of interesting to watch

(He notes that the enclosure is ventilated, because of) "micro particles of cancer-causing abs material, which I didn't want floating in the air in my living room"

==========================

Which 3D printer did you choose to buy?

Is it for fun or do you have plans to make something you can market and sell ?  I have been toying with the Idea to of picking up one but I am not sure what the best way to make money with it would be.  I have also been thinking about picking up a small cnc router .

Not knowing anything about the 3D world, can you tell me if 4.75" max. dimensions is tiny, or is that about standard?

I notice that USCUTTER has expanded their offerings of printers (now they carry the LULZbot brand, also the Airwolf dual-extruder, the Builder/BigBuilder twin-filament, as well as the LeapFrogs).

Is it for fun or do you have plans to make something you can market and sell ?  I have been toying with the Idea to of picking up one but I am not sure what the best way to make money with it would be.  I have also been thinking about picking up a small cnc router .

I got it completely as a toy!

If i end up building something that sells or an idea so be it, but i have always wanted one since they came out!

So, 4.75 is on the small size this is a Mini 3D Printer!

I got it to play around with it, like building homes for my wife's hedge hogs, and a new wheel for them, and some odd and end things and make some key chains or what not..

(He notes that the enclosure is ventilated, because of) "micro particles of cancer-causing abs material, which I didn't want floating in the air in my living room"

Haha I noticed that ,

When you get your 3d printer in , print up more 3d printers!  :ph34r:

• Like 1

The last thing I needed to do was view this thread.
Now I want one. No idea what I would do with it.

But I want one.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I've been toying around with the idea of one for a while, but can't figure out how I could make my money back.

I've been giving serious thought to one of these open source CNC machines - https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve - it would be relatively simple to add a plastic extruder and convert it into a 3D printer if I ever came up with a valid business model for 3D printing.

I like this particular design because it is configurable and all the parts are open source, so you can buy from other vendors or make your own since all the specs are available.   I've seen videos online of people who took the basic kit and added additional rails to make it able to carve up to 4' wide by about 8' long.

There is always a market for custom carved wooden signs, and wood is a lot cheaper than spools of plastic.  Especially if you live in a farming state with thousands of old barns waiting to be torn down - cheap, weathered lumber is available all the time around here...

Mamma and her 3 babies

These are my wife's pet..

So i have been designing and going to build them new wheels and houses for my first few prints!

post-16863-0-67149900-1427906305_thumb.j

post-16863-0-97470000-1427906318_thumb.j

• Like 1

I've been toying around with the idea of one for a while, but can't figure out how I could make my money back.

I've been giving serious thought to one of these open source CNC machines - https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve - it would be relatively simple to add a plastic extruder and convert it into a 3D printer if I ever came up with a valid business model for 3D printing.

OWJones I feel the same way with the 3d printer I do want one but I just cannot justify it right now espically with 2 kids in daycare.  On the other hand with a CNC router I think I would have a much better ROI . I have been working out ideas of products I can make and there are a lot.  The learning curve does not seem all the difficult either for just the 2d. 3d carving might take some time to learn

The Xcarve looks pretty cool.I was actually considering ordering a Shapeoko 3 but if I am going to do it I think I am going to go with Fireball V90.

http://www.probotix.com/FireBall_v90_cnc_router_kit/

SeeJay post some pics when you get the printer setup. 

Sure will

"Several hours pass as SEEJAY gets ZERO SLEEP" playing with the new toy!!

Why did I even look in here...Great!  Now I want one and feel like a little kid waiting to see the pictures.  

• Like 1

Check out my photo's @  www.seejaysplace.com

Wooohooo....

I have to say, that must be like watching paint dry...watching that machine lay down that stuff....I bet it takes forever??.

Cool first project...Kudos

That first project..

3 hours 20 minutes

about .30 cents of plastic

and it was like watching paint dry!.. 

That first project..

3 hours 20 minutes

about .30 cents of plastic

and it was like watching paint dry!.. 

WOW.

So, time for a video...LOL

I'm still wanting one bad  :)

https://www.tinkercad.com

Is what I'm using to design my products that I'm making!

The website is Free, it has some features not as good as the ones you pay good money for tho. but for what i want to do this is just fine by me

You can also download products from   www.thingiverse.com/

and https://www.redpah.com/

I'm almost done printing the one i have made my self, I will show pictures if it turns out how i want it to!

The black plate is what the 3d model gets printed on, so i just tryed to make something i could hang them up

i can fit 3 in this bracket that's all that came with this printer!

But the magnets i have are not strong enough to stick to this plastic so i have to find somehow to put magnet on the back to so i can hang them on the side of the machine!

work in progress but still.. having a lot of fun with this printer!

What to make next is the question.. and will always be the question! hheheheh

These clips took 12g of plastic.. 1000g for $15 so its like 1.5 cents per gram so it's not bad price really

post-16863-0-91247000-1428042193_thumb.j

post-16863-0-47226900-1428042198_thumb.j

post-16863-0-87309000-1428042202_thumb.j

post-16863-0-61349900-1428042400_thumb.j

post-16863-0-97682100-1428042470_thumb.j