Sign in to follow this  
tardster

Help separating the individual parts in a AI vector

I need help separating the individual parts in a AI vector I have. I use LXI expert software, I can open and cut AI files but it won't let me "ungroup" the individual parts in the file like I can with an EPS file. I tried to attach the file but it's to big. Thanks in advance for the help...

• Like 1

I use SignBlazer, but I'd bet LXI has the same functions. What I would do is make two additional copies of the design, then go into node editing mode. Delete part of the design on copy 1, then delete the other part of the design on copy 2.

I'd like for a break away button.   it's separate everything......  Delete what you don't want and then Combine will add everything back together.  

• Like 1

Post the file as a ZIP file and post here I will take a look at it.

I compressed it but that wasn't enough to get it to fit

I tried compressing it but it wasn't enough to get it to upload. I can email it to you if you want?

Looks like the expert version doesn't support access to the layers and stacking order (object hierarchy). Huh. I'm surprised that isn't something you can do on ALL levels. You might try downloading Inkscape and then open things up and save each individual piece as a separate file or something. I'd be a little upset if something labelled Expert didn't do something so trivial. They are getting more and more creative at fleecing the customers these days.

post-20133-0-00855300-1423460410_thumb.p

Looks like the expert version doesn't support access to the layers and stacking order (object hierarchy). Huh. I'm surprised that isn't something you can do on ALL levels. You might try downloading Inkscape and then open things up and save each individual piece as a separate file or something. I'd be a little upset if something labelled Expert didn't do something so trivial. They are getting more and more creative at fleecing the customers these days.

true to a point but the master plus version is only $500 - how else do you get flexi pro for such a low price legally?  only thing it is missing is the rip for wide format printing but mine also came with a rhinestone plug in.  

I guess that's a good point and the Master Plus is probably great but I am surprised that something labeled Expert can't deal with layers or the object stack. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, after several of you guys trying to help me I did the unthinkable. I emailed product support and they sent me this. I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly. I'm posting it incase any other newbie runs into the same issue. Thanks to all of you who helped me out...

Ed,

Adobe often saves page information with the graphic file. This is interpreted by LXI as a Mask Layer. So to edit the elements of the graphic, select it, go into the Arrange menu and use the "Unmask" option. This will usually result with a black rectangle covering the graphic. When this happens, use the select tool to deselect the artwork ( click on the empty white area of the design screen), then select the black rectangle and delete it. You should now be able to select and edit the individual pieces of your graphic.

• Like 1

Sweet, There you go! That also makes me feel a little more like giving the agreeable nod toward the LXI program. 

Wild, the problem I was running into was there were 2 mask layers. I unmasked it before asking for help on here but there was another for the top section of the AI file. Once I unmasked it I was able to go in and pick separate pieces to cut. When I got my cutter they told me the LXI was made by flexi sign and I've heard they were good so I was hopeful it would work...

I guess that's a good point and the Master Plus is probably great but I am surprised that something labeled Expert can't deal with layers or the object stack

agree but think the middle two versions are just so you can get people to upgrade and upsell a little - when in reality if you want anything more than starter (apprentice) just go master plus for everything.  I know it saved me a couple thousand to have the legal flexi pro that way.  

• Like 1

After separating the pieces of the file I was able to cut out my decals. Of course they weren't correctly sized as I was told but I was able to work with it and get what I wanted done. I was able to make the spider webs pretty close and it didn't look right so I added the hanging spiders to fill up some more of the fender...

post-90868-0-96171000-1423695867_thumb.j

post-90868-0-03985500-1423695884_thumb.j

• Like 1