Sign in to follow this  
Kcross47601

Oracal 8510 application issue

Hey guys, I just finished a job where I used a 48" roll of the 8510 translucent etched vinyl.  I used the tape that was required ( HT55).  When I did the install, I decided to go wet because of the colder weather (45 degrees out) and size of the images (44" square).  I used Rapid Tac 2 as my application fluid.  I watched all the youtube videos and followed the directions just as they are written.  The problem I had was when I let the image sit for a little time to dry, after squeeging, I applied the rapid tac 2 to the paper tape as a release, when I tried to remove the tape, the image was comming with it.  It seemed like it wasn't drying or the image wasn't released from the tape.  I was able to get it all off and done but was a large hassle and was hard to keep letters from wrinkling.  Question is, does anyone have any experience working with Rapid Tac or this 8510 vinyl? What could I have done different?  Apply some heat??  I tried to upload a pic but file is too big.  Kris

personally would have done it dry but if wet - after you squeegee the heck out of it - wet your app tape to make it release easier

How can you do a dry application on a sheet that's almost 4 foot square? Dry would have been easier.  I squeeged the crap out of it and let it set for about 30-45 min to dry a bit, then sprayed the rapid tac on the tape to release it. It said to do that in the instructions. Was afraid to do dry because of air bubbles and a 15 mph wind today.

I don't try to do it when it's windy - i would center hinge and work my way out but then again i might have done this a few more times.  I almost never apply wet anymore.  Personally I would wait for no wind and warmer day

• Like 1

I applied it to glass.  I think maybe the colder temps played a part in the Rapid Tac not drying.  Had to do the install alone so with help maybe it would be easier.

post-15439-0-17197400-1421654627_thumb.j

post-15439-0-36435700-1421654655_thumb.j

post-15439-0-41427000-1421654782_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yeah Dakota, that's what I've been using.  Normally if I have to apply a large image, I use a home made soapy water solution that I've used for the last 4 years of doing this but usually never work in cold weather.  Heard of Rapid Tac 2 and decided to check out what it would do via Youtube.  I ordered a spray bottle of it to use on this project. I believe that the cooler temps is causing the adhesive on the vinyl its self to not stick and maybe some of the Rapid Tac not to dry very quick. The Vinyl looks amazing but now I have a bar in a neighboring town wanting me to do some work over there and trying to get the kinks out of my method since summer is a ways off.  Kris

sorry - thought you had used original rapid tac that doesn't work as well cold.  I have a problem scanning so many threads and sometimes just don't read every detail quite well enough

It's hard at that temperature especially if you have any humidity. Did you try heating the window from the inside.

Yes, it was most likely due to the cold temperatures. Oracal recommends install temps to be greater than 8 degrees celcius (46.9 fahrenheit) . 45 degrees is very close but that is probably why you had so much trouble.

Also the temperature of the glass could have been much colder than the 45 degree ambient temperature.

I've experianced the same thing when they weather cools.  I use rapidtac also.  

I did a friends store front door and it was a nightmare. I tried heating it and still nothing.  

It's just part of the vinyl game.   

I would have cut that up into a few easy to handle pieces. Ole' by itself would be simple. The Pappys could be done with a top hinge and slice it between the lettering and the Bar and grill the same then just have the long skinny across the bottom. No reason to fight a 48" monster and no reason to buy 48" vinyl. I'm old I fight dirty. (actually on this forum at 47 I'm practically a teenage punk)

Oh and dry app all the way. Slam bam thank you mam and your gone in a half hour. 

• Like 1

It's hard at that temperature especially if you have any humidity. Did you try heating the window from the inside.

I thought about heating but I was the only one there with no access inside. 

I would have cut that up into a few easy to handle pieces. Ole' by itself would be simple. The Pappys could be done with a top hinge and slice it between the lettering and the Bar and grill the same then just have the long skinny across the bottom. No reason to fight a 48" monster and no reason to buy 48" vinyl. I'm old I fight dirty. (actually on this forum at 47 I'm practically a teenage punk)

Oh and dry app all the way. Slam bam thank you mam and your gone in a half hour. 

I'm thinking dry app may be the way to go till necessary.  I did the image so big to keep both large windows exactly the same so figured one piece was the answer with the skew on "Ole". The one with the close up is a simple 26" on the front door. 

Yes, it was most likely due to the cold temperatures. Oracal recommends install temps to be greater than 8 degrees celcius (46.9 fahrenheit) . 45 degrees is very close but that is probably why you had so much trouble.

Also the temperature of the glass could have been much colder than the 45 degree ambient temperature.

I believe the glass was much cooler.  I was there 3 hours doing 4 graphics. 2 26" on the 2 entry doors and 2 big ones on front windows that are 44"  I still believe that maybe dry app would be the key to help.  I agree that the specs on adhesive are important, we still have customers to take care of even when it's cold.