Sign in to follow this  
lablover

Shopping List going together

Gonna take the plunge and go for the heat press.  This is what I plan on getting

http://www.uscutter.com/15-x-15-Digital-Swing-arm-Heat-Press

Can anyone give me a list of other things I might need to get started.  I know I need some t-shirts and Vinyl.  Any suggestion on what vinyl?  What Shirts?

Also, anything else I need besides the vinyl and shirts.  I know I saw something about using some type of sheet or something between the press and shirt...Dont remember.

Look forward to this!!

Joe

• Like 1

teflon sheet and sign up for a sanmar account for the shirts - their own port and company has replaced all my sales and personal shirts

• Like 2

Teflon sheet for sure.

You'll use a lot of white and black HTV......

but no matter what you get someone will ask for 

another color....and that's an up-charge.

Silver and gold are popular as is yellow.

The girls love the glitter stuff.

If there are particular school colors in your area it 

would be smart to order those too.

It's fun and you'll have a blast...as long as you don't

take orders for 100 shirts....that's never-ending!

Sue2

Thats it...Teflon Sheet.

Is there a How to video someplace?  Don't want to sound like a dork but have no clue where to use the teflon sheet...LOL

over the shirt and htv. It protects the shirt and press from getting gunk on each other. Not always necessary but cheap insurance against lifes little oopsies. 

I used to love sanmar until I saw the stack of invoices for this year. I think I put somebody's kid through college with what I've spent so far.

Thats it...Teflon Sheet.

Is there a How to video someplace?  Don't want to sound like a dork but have no clue where to use the teflon sheet...LOL

Parchment paper works too....Costco sells 2 big rolls (15" x 164 feet each) for about $10.

There are a bunch of Heat Press Videos on YouTube...

watch several and you'll get the idea....the hardest part is the

designing, cutting & weeding.  The actual Heat Press part just

takes muscle!

Sue2

• Like 2

I use parchment paper mostly. Cheap and you can toss it when it starts to look tired. Teflon cover on the lower platen is kinda nice but not a must have, the stuff is expensive. 

As far as really needing things. I would consider a teflon pillow if I were you. Also a little expensive but real handy when doing anything with a collar, heavy seam or buttons. Some kids shirts are an issue without one because the seams hold the press up a bit causing uneven pressure. 

Something to check the temperature with too. IR heat thermometer is what I use. I don't think they are exact but they get close enough that you'll be in the right zone. 

• Like 1

Great advice so far.  Just watched a few videos...WOW, that stuff looks like loads of fun to weed.......Nope

I think I'll put off my order till tomorrow after I have tim ego look at these items..Pillow etc.

Sisser easy weed a good place to start?  Anyone ever use old t-shirts to practice on?  Wasn't sure if washed shirts are a bad idea.

old shirt is fine for practice and easyweed is consistently good product

usc is good for buying it from and since you are in Michigan check with alpine sign in Lansing - you will have to call for most things as they have the worlds worst web site

Sisser easy weed a good place to start?  Anyone ever use old t-shirts to practice on?  Wasn't sure if washed shirts are a bad idea.

Sisser is the easiest to weed of the three I have in stock...

(Sisser, Fibron & ThermoFlex Plus).

Old shirts are okay...but why waste a perfectly good design?

Go for it!

Check out the outlet shops for marked down Ts...just be sure to

wash them in case they have sizing or other treatments on them

to prevent wrinkling.

AND REMEMBER MIRROR!!!

:rolleyes: 

Sue2

Sisser is the easiest to weed of the three I have in stock...

(Sisser, Fibron & ThermoFlex Plus).

Old shirts are okay...but why waste a perfectly good design?

Go for it!

Check out the outlet shops for marked down Ts...just be sure to

wash them in case they have sizing or other treatments on them

to prevent wrinkling.

AND REMEMBER MIRROR!!!

Sue2

OMG

Never even thought of that....Wooohooooo  Thanks for the important tip

AND REMEMBER MIRROR!!!

Sue2

I usually create the word "MIRROR" in text in a bright contrasting color and place it off to the side of my design as I'm creating. This reminds me to take care of the mirroring prior to cutting. Just remember to delete it before cutting. Even if you don't remove it before cutting, it doesn't hurt anything if it's not touching the design. Just weed it after the cut.

• Like 1

You're getting up in the price range of better presses. There is a Geo Knight swing away in my area selling for $850 practically brand new with a sublimation printer thrown in. If you can possibly swing the $600 on that one why not poke around and find an even better deal? 

• Like 1

The impatient part of me wants to get the cheaper one and start there...The smarter part of me says gather a few more bucks and be satisfied I didn't buy something that was gonna die on me.  Then again, you said that was a decent press for the money.

Wow, I hate when this happens...LOL

I was going back and forth on the Fusion vs the Knight swingers, Finally decided the Fusion was only a couple hundred more than the geo and the consensus was it's a better press so I pulled the trigger and now a few weeks later I find this one in my home town, could have saved a grand. Can't win for loosing but I do love the high end press. Pressure readout and smooth operation. Computer controlled, all the goodies. Real happy with the readable platen which was not a consideration originally but now that I can it's freaking awesome. 

Gonna take the plunge and go for the heat press.  This is what I plan on getting

http://www.uscutter.com/15-x-15-Digital-Swing-arm-Heat-Press

Can anyone give me a list of other things I might need to get started.  I know I need some t-shirts and Vinyl.  Any suggestion on what vinyl?  What Shirts?

Also, anything else I need besides the vinyl and shirts.  I know I saw something about using some type of sheet or something between the press and shirt...Dont remember.

Look forward to this!!

Joe

http://www.uscutter.com/Geo-Knight-12-x-14-JetPress-Swinger-JP14

That is the one i have, and i like it a lot!

• Like 1

I'll tell ya what.  I'd love to get one of those 5 in 1 or 8 in 1 set ups.  I read here that they can be problematic jack of all trades type thing master of none..LOL  Keeping my eyes open for local deals as well  ;)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="lablover" data-cid="379013" data-time="1417699485"><p>

OK, maybe I should of ordered it when I was all ready. After poking around I'm tempted to order this one instead...I like the 2 year warranty.<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-Perfect-Press-15-x-15-Clamshell-Auto-Open-Heat-Press'>http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-Perfect-Press-15-x-15-Clamshell-Auto-Open-Heat-Press</a><br />

<br />

I have to think the quality is up a notch?<br />

<br />

Then again it kills me for HTV and some shirts....aghhhhhhhhhhhh</p></blockquote> The heat temps are way off on mine doing sub work with it sucks

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="lablover" data-cid="379013" data-time="1417699485"><p>

OK, maybe I should of ordered it when I was all ready. After poking around I'm tempted to order this one instead...I like the 2 year warranty.<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-Perfect-Press-15-x-15-Clamshell-Auto-Open-Heat-Press'>http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-Perfect-Press-15-x-15-Clamshell-Auto-Open-Heat-Press</a><br />

<br />

I have to think the quality is up a notch?<br />

<br />

Then again it kills me for HTV and some shirts....aghhhhhhhhhhhh</p></blockquote> The heat temps are way off on mine doing sub work with it sucks

I think I worked out this code....LOL

I hate mine I think they mislead people the heat platon does not heat eveningly at all I am very disappointed with mine

I hate mine I think they mislead people the heat platon does not heat eveningly at all I am very disappointed with mine

Good to know.  Swing arm is in my future I think