eddieb378

windows 8 Help

On my laptop every time I click on a page I get a popup or ad window of some sort. This laptop is only a month old and I have a anti virus on it but I swear If I didn't know any better I would swear Its got a virus of some sort.Any sugestions on what I should do?

Glad im still on XP Professional...its on all my machines..no issues all (other then a warning that says Support is no longer available for XP)..now how the hell does a computer that isnt hooked up to the internet and is only used for backing up files getting instructed with this update info??

Glad im still on XP Professional...its on all my machines..no issues all (other then a warning that says Support is no longer available for XP)..now how the hell does a computer that isnt hooked up to the internet and is only used for backing up files getting instructed with this update info??

If you want to get rid of the warning you can make a registry change and XP will think you are running the software as a POS . The bonus is XP will continue to get updates for the next 5 years.

( from web )

All XP users need to do is create a text file with the following contents:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

Then, change the file extension from “.txt” to “.reg,” and run the file in Windows Explorer. Opening Windows Update at this point should reveal several new security updates.

I thought one of the main benefits of hanging back with XP was to AVOID the updates?

Sometimes updates are needed especially if someone can hack in just because you visited a website, opened a PDF or clicked on an email. 

Here is the link for the info I posted.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2310301/windows-xp-registry-hack-keeps-the-security-updates-rolling.html 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2310301/windows-xp-registry-hack-keeps-the-security-updates-rolling.html

Windows XP is an operating system...hackers have to get thru a software firewall and a router/switch to even get at the operating system. As long as your firewall and routers get updates thats what matters.

My router and firewall protects me...

Kind of like saying u gotta upgrade to a new engine cuz your old engine is vulnerable to nails in the road...

• Like 1

You may want to scroll through your 'Add/remove programs" list chronologically and look for the one in there you don't recognize.

Often you can pick these things up when you download and install something. When installing sometimes before it starts there is a screen with things p re-checked and people just hit OK without realizing

If it's taking you to a specific page Google search "how to remove xyz"

• Like 2

Your link is a dead end.

The forum ate the URL that's why I posted it in code tags also

Windows XP is an operating system...hackers have to get thru a software firewall and a router/switch to even get at the operating system. As long as your firewall and routers get updates thats what matters.

My router and firewall protects me...

Kind of like saying u gotta upgrade to a new engine cuz your old engine is vulnerable to nails in the road...

OK, just trying to help. As long as that protection works for you.

The forum ate the URL that's why I posted it in code tags also

Thanks for Updating... ~smirk~

Thanks for Updating... ~smirk~

No problem Quick Draw, you must have fired back a reply at the same time I was trying to get a good link posted.  :D

• Like 1

Someone said "Mac" oh good lord! Yuck! Hehe

• Like 1

Ash?!?!?!?!

Good grief. I thought you went Mac and fell off the face of the planet!

Good to see you back! :lol:>:D

Oh lord... Did you cuss me? Haha Mac ... Yuck lol

go into scheduled tasks and remove the notification from the list all gone and no updates to worry about