chipperi

Finding shows etc

I am tired of seeing on the news of a big arts and crafts show, or some other event. All the websites and stuff are so behind and I can never seem to find advertising ahead of time. I know some of you guys are in my area, Where do you all find events to set up at?  Church Hill Block party is a no because everything has to be free, Gun and Boat shows are a no as the table fees would negate profit. Fun Fest is a no because every this is free or controlled by the city....Need more income than E-Bay

Well, having btdt - here are a couple suggestions for you:

1.  Attend some of these a&c shows as a customer.  Ask some of the vendors who the sponsor is and who is in charge.  Go introduce yourself and ask them to put you on the list for next year.

2.  When talking with the vendors, ask them about upcoming a&c shows and who to contact about them.  Chances are very good that they will also offer you some good advise about which shows you might do better at.  Don't be shy, every vendor there wants every show to expand and do better for them than the last one.  One way for this to happen is for the vendor base to expand and bring in additional customers.

3.  I am familiar with several of the a&c shows done in my area during the year.  Not all of them by any means, but many.  These are recurring shows done every year.  The peach festival in June, the strawberry festival in late April, BOB in May, Christmas in November show, Oktoberfest in October and so on.  Track down the people in charge of these fall events now...

Once you get into the circuit, then you will find even more events and you will have to start picking' an' chosen' which ones you want to do.

Cal

1.  Attend some of these a&c shows as a customer.  Ask some of the vendors who the sponsor is and who is in charge.  Go introduce yourself and ask them to put you on the list for next year.

Thats the problem I don't find out about them until they are over, yet I never see any advertising ahead of time.

Look at you local chamber of commerce they know where all the events are. Ever thought of just setting up beside the road?

Unfortunately our Chamber of commerce website lists concerts weher the promoter wont let you set up or they are busy with FunFest which is a free event so you cant charge.

I was in the same boat, never seeing the event intill after it was over.

But did just as clhyer said I went to a flea market that is every sunday. I went a bunch of time in september, in october I started setting up every sunday. 

By the end of the season, the last sunday before christmas I was booked every saturday from march to september.

Once you get out there and start talking to the vendors you learn where and when all the events are.

I had no idea the amount of things that were going on intil I got out there. 

even hooked up with a motor club that invites me to sell at there events and don't charge me to setup up.

Get out there, get talking.

• Like 2

Well you guys just gave me a great idea about getting a booth at the local gun show.    

I know 2nd amendment stuff will sell there.

• Like 2

Well you guys just gave me a great idea about getting a booth at the local gun show.    

I know 2nd amendment stuff will sell there.

The Promoter here wants $68 per table I thought about it as I have alot of 2A art.

As for the local Flea market,,, there are 2 guys in there now doing decals. one is a big setup the other is smaller, would I be able to compete?

Go see what they offer for decals, find out if they are licensed for any of the Big 3 car companies if they aren't licensed report them. Also you can compete if you have different decals than they off then you will do fine.

• Like 1

Competition can be more about service and how you treat the potential customer than price. I did 3 years as a regular vendor at a large flea market and watched many cheaper cone and go during that time because they just didn't know how to talk with the people. They just didn't have people skills and that is just as important as vinyl skills.

In these parts, we use a Facebook group - Southeast Iowa Vendors - to advertise and promote upcoming events.  That's how we find out about all the lesser advertised events.

We recently had a competitor set up at the flea market that we attend every sunday, every vendor was asking me if we were worried about them taking business from us.

I wasn't worried at all, I knew what people liked and I knew what the prices should be to keep customers and me happy.

I actually went over and introduced myself and offered my help if they needed any.