DCMoney

Layering Question

I'm extremely new to vinyl cutting, and have been making these signs below as a joke for my race bike. Now all my friends want one too.

2014-06-19_zpsa724007c.jpg

I cut everything out in black vinyl, then cut out same size yellow background and transfer the black onto the yellow. It's pretty difficult to get it perfect, I'm not using any type of wet applicator.

My question is, with the titans ability to contour cut, can I cut the black and transfer it onto a roll of yellow then contour cut the border? I've never done any contour cutting but know it needs contour registration marks (typically printed) but could it be cut in the black vinyl and lined up that way?

Any suggestions? The one pictured above was a test and final ones will be cut smaller closer to 2.5"x4"

Thanks for any help!

I'd cut a solid piece of black as a background, then cut yellow and put it on top.  THEN I'd build me a layering station

In a pinch, use a window and some tape.

1.  hang black layer on window

2.  align yellow layer on black layer - using window to get perfect alignment

3.  remove backing and apply yellow to black

This is not a speedy approach for large runs - but will work very good unti you have a good layering station setup.

• Like 1

Personally I would just drop the black border outline.

Do a solid yellow back with the black on top. Nobody is gonna know or care about that thin black border.

Personally I would just drop the black border outline.

Do a solid yellow back with the black on top. Nobody is gonna know or care about that thin black border.

This is what I originally did but I like the way the boarder looks...

10457922_10204346552807121_6555985964520

I'd cut a solid piece of black as a background, then cut yellow and put it on top.  THEN I'd build me a layering station

In a pinch, use a window and some tape.

1.  hang black layer on window

2.  align yellow layer on black layer - using window to get perfect alignment

3.  remove backing and apply yellow to black

This is not a speedy approach for large runs - but will work very good unti you have a good layering station setup.

Thanks!

I should clarify-  I use the window for the back light so i can align my layers perfectly.  That is what I use when I need to layer on the quick fast instead of using my layering station. 

Personally, I understand the cleaner look of the black border... and I would (maybe) do that for a small run.  But I generally start pulling back on stuff like that on larger orders.  Diminishing returns on effort.  If you layed black on yellow vs. my recommendation of yellow on black - you will also have a very thin piece of black that is susceptable to car wash destruction.  Just my $.02.

• Like 1

Just use registration marks it's quick simple and does the job perfect every time

• Like 2

Just use registration marks it's quick simple and does the job perfect every time

I'm using SCALP any guide to doing this?

Just make some + signs 3/4 of an inch from each corner..use them to line up the layers.

I use squares sometimes but the + sign works better.

Here is a 3 layer decal..each layer has the squares.

20140609_205717_zpsl6mbi27g.jpg

• Like 2

I do use reg marks from time to time but they are not as bullet proof as a back lit layering station (IMHO).  Personally, I'm much faster on a station than I am with reg marks, but that is subjective to each individual doing the work.

That being said, my preferred reg marks are a half circle.  You get the curve and straight line in a single reg and they are pretty accurate and also very easy to weed so they are economical.

Since I have mentioned it multiple times.  I have a station that I built.  It is a piece of plexiglass that is 3' tall and 2' wide.  It sits on a stand made out of pvc pipe at a 45 degree angle and I have consctruction lights firing up through the back of the glass.  It's Bright. Light.  ...and CHEAP.  Even IF I use reg marks, I still layer on the rig so i can see for sure what is going on.  Benefit for the $, one of the best things in my shop, hands down.

• Like 1

Pics? And do u use clear tape or papertape?

On most I use paper tape...only now and then will I use clear.

clear on small stuff.

paper on large stuff.

- But, I don't do large stuff RTA.  I apply it 1 layer at a time, direct to surface... I don't like the RTA business model unless the decals are small, or I REALLY trust my customer to get it installed without destroying it.

I'll get a pic of my layer station and post on here when I get home tonight.

I would go with black background then smaller yellow. You will have much better adhesion and the small black edge won't want to get caught and rub off. 

For the layer I learned a trick by accident that I have shared, Use a piece of parchment paper that people use to bake cookies. IT is thin enough to see through and line up your top layer. Just pull off the carrier sheet and lay the parchment in place of it. If you are worried about seeing good you can use clear app tape. It's a simple version to building a light box and you can just throw away sheet once your done because it's cheap. My wife buys long rolls at Costco. 

• Like 1

A video might help. When I first started, I couldn't understand what people were talking about until I saw a video, then it was obvious.

Here's one for layering with registration marks:

• Like 1

I do use reg marks from time to time but they are not as bullet proof as a back lit layering station (IMHO).  Personally, I'm much faster on a station than I am with reg marks, but that is subjective to each individual doing the work.

That being said, my preferred reg marks are a half circle.  You get the curve and straight line in a single reg and they are pretty accurate and also very easy to weed so they are economical.

Since I have mentioned it multiple times.  I have a station that I built.  It is a piece of plexiglass that is 3' tall and 2' wide.  It sits on a stand made out of pvc pipe at a 45 degree angle and I have consctruction lights firing up through the back of the glass.  It's Bright. Light.  ...and CHEAP.  Even IF I use reg marks, I still layer on the rig so i can see for sure what is going on.  Benefit for the $, one of the best things in my shop, hands down.

Do you have a pic to share of your set up?

build a pvc square frame (four pieces of pvc same length and four elbows).  Wrap clear r-tape (sticky side down) over top of the frame.  Use that as your tansfer tape and this will ''hover'' your top layer over your base layer.  You can move it around until you get it where you want it.  No need for back lighting.  No need for multiple hands.  And you can keep reusing your that same tape over and over until it loses it's no longer sticky.  So simple, so cheap and saves you money on app tape.  

I used my window for years till i found a SWEET deal on CL for a 36x24 light table for $75 hehe :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help and advice, added 4 registration squares and I was able to align with no problems!