Sign in to follow this  
arty-rc

Corporate Logo Question

I have a person opening a franchise business and has asked me if I could make up various items for him. He mentioned mouse pads, coasters, and coroplast signs,etc. My question is, how can I cover my butt using a Corporate logo and not get into trouble for making it and selling it? I will meet with him Monday to see exactly what he wants and see if I can handle the job. Thanks

Change the Logo on the presentations til they provide authorization.

Take an authorization letter with you that says something along the line that the undersigned has full legal authority to authorize its use and that your company will be indemnified and held harmless for any work you do specifically for him. Have him sign it, if he is hesitant then you can probably get a good idea if he really has the authority and you can suggest he looks into it before you begin. 

you should probably get authorization, but the fact that he owns a franchize pretty much gaurantees that he is authorized to do this.  Although, there may be some sticking points on his end as to where he purchases logo'd merchandise, some corporate franchizes require that their store owners purchase promo products and advertising directly from them.  Mostly it's his responsibility in this case.

and why the heck doesn't spell check work on this forum?

Raised a question in my mind. If hired to do the job who is at fault ? The guy who cuts it or the guy who sought to have it cut ? 

The guy who sought to cut as he showed his intent to steal a copyright ?

The cutter would assume ( very bad word here ) he has permission  to use ? 

The one I dealt with personally was a Scentsy rep. She wanted items for her car and etc. Luckily I went to the scentsy site and snooped around. Even tho she is a rep she still had to get written permission to buy from someone other then them

Just curious, did they grant her permision, EL?

She said forget it, too much work for her to do.... I think I am going to email them and see about a "blanket" permission to cut the logo

Having a franchise gives you very little rights to use a logo without express permission on a case by case basis. The reason is that something done in poor judgement or taste can damage the corporate image.

• Like 1

I used to manage a radio shack dealer and later was a houston tracker/echostar/dishnetwork dealer for 10 years and EVERYTHING with their logos had to be approved each time before use

• Like 2

Update: I went to see what they wanted on Monday. They were looking for the multi colored logo(animal head with text) for the front windows, interior and exterior banners as well as coro road signs. The logos had to be printed. When I questioned them about their right to purchase the signage from a non corporate souce, they could not give me any answer. I gracefully declined the job by telling them that I do not have the equipment to do the sign printing. I felt it was better not to take a chance. I did inform them that if they could get the OK in writing from corporate, I could then make up some sublimation items for them. Time will tell. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1