Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

Spikes when applying outline

Not sure why, but an easy fix for now would be to delete the nodes in the middle of the outline and just leave the corners.

I tried deleting the nodes but was having problems.  I tried with it still as a font and converted to an outline.  I'm done for the night so I'll spend more time tomorrow trying to figure it out.  I did find out that different fonts provide different effects.  Most still have spikes of some sort, some do not.  Odd.

Corel is real bad about doing the spike thingy. The older the version the worse it seems to be but I'd remove the stray nodes and convert that section from curve to line if necessary to keep it straight.

Get it the size you want and convert it to outlines and do a path offset rather than adding stoke. I would also recommend after the conversion to also do a <command/8> or (cntrl/8 on pc) to make it a compound shape. What's going on is that when you add stroke it is probably the stroke from the middle of the 4. It's showing a squared off top due to your stroke effects settings. Stroke effects cause more problems most of the time than they are worth si I avoid them if I can. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I'll give your suggestions a try tonight. 

As stupid as it sounds I was struggling to find tutorial online as I couldn't find the right words to search for what I was trying to do!  Sometimes the hardest part of trying to find answers on yoru own is figuring out what words to use in the searching.

• Like 1

Just be sure and convert it to a compound shape after converting to outlines or it will offset each individual number and can cause further weirdness and you will then have to weld it all together. By making it a compound shape you are telling illustrator that it is to be treated as one complete object and the program then does a better job of interpreting what you want with the offset path function. It will also typically place it behind the original object as well so your layer is already where you want it. (you will have to change the fill color for it to show up)

• Like 1

Just be sure and convert it to a compound shape after converting to outlines or it will offset each individual number and can cause further weirdness and you will then have to weld it all together. By making it a compound shape you are telling illustrator that it is to be treated as one complete object and the program then does a better job of interpreting what you want with the offset path function. It will also typically place it behind the original object as well so your layer is already where you want it. (you will have to change the fill color for it to show up)

Thank you!  I'm learning but it is slow (or I am slow)!!

• Like 1

It was weird, I did what you suggested and it still produced the spikes until after I expanded the compound path, then they disappeared.  All is good now, thanks for the help!

It looks like you are appling a stroke to get your outline. If so you can edit the stroke for the type of corners and radius you need. It's in the box on the top left of the window with the "stroke" in blue

It looks like you are appling a stroke to get your outline. If so you can edit the stroke for the type of corners and radius you need. It's in the box on the top left of the window with the "stroke" in blue

Correct, I made a copy of the text and applied an outline until I got the look I wanted, this was then the background of the text without the outline.  This is the only way I have seen to ge the effect I was after, is there a better way to do it?

I'll take a look for that box you mention tonight, thank you for the suggestion.

Correct, I made a copy of the text and applied an outline until I got the look I wanted, this was then the background of the text without the outline.  This is the only way I have seen to ge the effect I was after, is there a better way to do it?

I'll take a look for that box you mention tonight, thank you for the suggestion.

When you get into the strokes adjustment screen there are a lot of settings to make the stroke come out the way you need. You can center it on the line or put it above or below also in the panel

Use the offset path tool instead of a stroke.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that. 

You don't need to do the copy paste thing with a path offset. In fact if you do you may find your cutter cutting twice on each object. I don't think you actually did what I said or you wouldn't have any stoke at all. NO STROKE. Just convert your text/numbers then object>compound path>make (or quick keys cntrl/8) then do the object>path>Offset Path and set your offset amount. If you have a newer version of Illy then it will give you a preview so you can adjust it just right. If you are using older versions then you may have to guess and undo a couple times until it is where you want it. You will have to re-color the new path because it will be the same as the original but it will be behind the original thus you have no need to copy paste before doing the operation. 

Wildgoose - I beleive I did try your suggestion and had the same problem. I  remember having to recolor the new path.  I'll have more time to spend on it this weekend.  My time has been limited this week as my wife's having surgery on her foot tomorrow so my time has been mostly spent preparing for her being out of commission for a bit.

I stand corrected... no need to copy and paste. But definately shouldn't use 'stroke' to get the effect you are after. (as everyone agrees)

• Like 1

Wildgoose - I beleive I did try your suggestion and had the same problem. I  remember having to recolor the new path.  I'll have more time to spend on it this weekend.  My time has been limited this week as my wife's having surgery on her foot tomorrow so my time has been mostly spent preparing for her being out of commission for a bit.

You only get the spikes with stroke. If you follow the exact directions in post #16 you won't have any. I'm not trying to beat you up, I realize there is a steep learning curve. Good luck on your wife's surgery. 

You only get the spikes with stroke. If you follow the exact directions in post #16 you won't have any. I'm not trying to beat you up, I realize there is a steep learning curve. Good luck on your wife's surgery. 

I don't feel you are beating me up at all, no apology necessary.  Believe me, I appreciat the help.  As with many things in life, there are many ways to accomplish something, sometimes one way is better than another. 

The wife's surgery shoudl give me some time to play.  She had the same thing done to her other foot a year ago and for the first few days she pretty much slept most of the time. I took 3 days off of work to take care of here so with the weekend that gives me 5 days with not too much to do.  Figuring this out will be high on my list!

Worked like a charm, problem solved.  So much easier this way.

Thanks again for all the guidance.

• Like 2

SCALP will do the same thing, and on images as well.

Good to know but I haven't learned how to use one piece of software yet, certainly can't learn a 2nd!!