carwash

A couple questions for you veterans...

Is there a better way to hold my vinyl in place on the shaft than this non-working 0-ring method?

photo1_zps9d31264f.jpg

And second, what is the second roller on my cutter for?

photo3_zpse0093005.jpg

To tell the truth I had horrible luck with the rollers on my P-Cut. I think you are supposed to be able to set the roll between the two and the plates with the crappy O-rings are supposed to keep the roll centered but I found my machine would pull the whole roll off and it would land on the floor and go rolling. What a mess. Sometimes I would hang my roll on a single rod and let the guides keep it centered that way but the guide on the right side seemed to be in a bad spot and wouldn't let me put it where it really needed to go. Most of the time I would just cut some off the roll and load it as a sheet and not even worry about the whole roll. That ends up wasting a little more vinyl off the end but it worked better for me. Good luck, it's totally annoying. 

Ah i see..... I guess laying the roll inbetween the two rollers would keep it from unrolling a crap ton of vinyl, like you can see it has done in this picture...

• Like 1

first - the roll of vinyl lays on top of the two long rollers - second throw the dang chrome plated plastic disk as far from the cutter as possible (found mine from 8 yrs ago last week across the room) - they do not keep the vinyl straight - the pinch rollers and grit rollers are the deciding factor that not the little guide thingies  - IMHO

Like Dakota said, leave those off and just set the vinyl directly on the two rollers don't run them through the roll.

Well, that will definitely be a time saver, as right now I'm putting hubs in every roll and sticking the rod thru the roll.  Tomorrow I will try the sit on the rollers method.

Thanks ya'll!!!

Well, I have ditched the old setup and I'm now running vinyl on the rollers. It's awesome! Thx for the knowledge.

I bet I spent 10% of my cutting time previously changing rolls out on the shaft. Lol.

• Like 2

Ah i see..... I guess laying the roll inbetween the two rollers would keep it from unrolling a crap ton of vinyl, like you can see it has done in this picture...

I made this same mistake when i first started i was wondering why it was unrolling LoL

I don't get why they would suggest doing it the way I used to.... vinyl on rollers is money.

• Like 1

Haha I had this same problem when I was making some decals for work (500 1x8 decals)… I was just a newb so I set everything up, started the cut and went in my bedroom to watch some hockey.. During intermission I went and checked on the cutting progress and my entire roll of 48" x 50 YARDS of vinyl was unrolled on the floor. Never again have I ran my vinyl with the rod through the middle! From then on my vinyl is always on top of the two rollers

• Like 1

The vinyl seems to line up straight better now too... I know at some point I will  have to upgrade to a better cutter to get more accurate, but this new vinyl lay in method has helped things considerably.

• Like 1

carwash, also something you may already do but here it  is anyway- unroll some from the roll so that the cutter is not having to "pull" to bring it into position. So it has slack in it.   Does that make sense. Learned that from this board. 

• Like 1