gcextreme

Dye Sub printer?

Whats all needed to get into doing dye sublimination stuff? Like on coffee mugs and other stuff.

I see uscutter has two dye sub printers...one for $225...would that work? And what else would i need to invest in? I know probably a heat mug press..

A richo Sublimation printer, or Epson WF printer, a heat press, mug wraps for the oven, sublimation ink, Teflon sheet parchment paper and your sublimation substrates. the 225.00 printer looks like it only prints 85X11" which will be good for smaller t-shrt images but should do well for mugs and such.

^^^I'm cheaper than you^^^

Ricoh with ink is actually $650 on uscutter.

15x15 press $300 or more (you already have)

mug press (or wraps) Press can be had for around $100 I use a press and they work but there are limitations in print area.

Sublimation paper - For a Ricoh I recommend TexPrint-r for around $20 a package.

$1200 from scratch or $900 since you already have a regular heat press but this is bare bones and is not for everyone.

Actually I was highballing that price.

Epson WF 7010                                  $104.99

Dye Sub Ink                                          $56.00

Image-R 8.5X14 paper                         $15.00

3.5X7" mug paper                                  $5.00

Wraps 35.00 a piece X4                     $136.00     

• Like 1

I would recommend the ricoh - they don't clog after sitting unused for a couple of months - if you use cactus wraps in your oven you can get good coverage edge to edge.  I had several mug presses and their problem comes at the handle and bottom wick the heat away so you get fade in those area you don't get in the oven where everything is heated evenly

• Like 1

That printer is the right one but look below where it says add parts and accessories because it comes empty and that is where the ink is listed. Ink set is an additional $325.50 for sublimation inks. I use a Ricoh 3300n and love it because it never clogs or needs head cleaning, just click print and done.

• Like 1

Hmmm decisions decisions.

Ive got about $600 to invest...not sure if i want to buy a second cheap cutter for craft shows, invest it all in inventory/supplies, or dye subilimination...or maybe hydrographics...

I vote hydrographics. Been looking at that a little myself.

Hmmm decisions decisions.

Ive got about $600 to invest...not sure if i want to buy a second cheap cutter for craft shows, invest it all in inventory/supplies, or dye subilimination...or maybe hydrographics...

If you're thinking that you'll do a lot of dye sublimation and that your printer won't sit unused, or if you can remember to run test pages on a regular basis, you can get into an Epson based printer for a lot less.  You can buy a wide format (13" wide) Epson for under $300 and a CISS kit with 4 oz. of each color of dye-sub inks will set you back about $170 from Cobra Ink.  You can buy refillable cartridges and bulk ink from them as well if you don't want to bother with CISS.

I bought a used Epson Stylus Photo locally for $80 and bought a 6-color 4 oz. CISS kit from Cobra Ink - it was more expensive (50% more ink) but was still less ($239 with S&H) than one set of ink cartridges for a Ricoh printer and refills will be even cheaper.

You do have to be vigilant about running test pages with the Epsons to keep the printer heads from drying out, but if you're wanting to be cheap, it's tough to beat.

I let mine sit for over a month and it did dry out and I was able to get it cleared and going again with just a small amount of work - the customer service from Cobra Ink is excellent and they told me exactly what to do and sell all the supplies necessary for cleaning & clearing Epson printers.

I would strongly suggest staying away from a mug press for the very reasons that Dakotagrafx quoted above - they just don't do as good a job as a thermal wrap - and you can only do one mug at a time - for the cost of a dedicated mug press, you can buy several wraps and cook several mugs at the same time.

If you already have a 15" press and software that will let you print color designs, all you need is a printer, ink and some transfer paper and you're good to go.  Add wraps for 3D objects (mugs, etc.) as needed and you can start out cheap and add to it as money permits.

I'm looking at the Cobra set-up myself. You have to call them for the High Temp ink tho. Do like I did go to the sight and email em for your best option on High Temp Ink set-up.