Sign in to follow this  
ksellett

(...sigh...) i need help

ok so i received my machine today. all i was trying to do was run a test to get the blade depth down. the blade was cutting, but not near deep enough to weed. so i was adjusting and adjusting and off pops the belt. its now dangling on the table with one end in the machine. how can i reattach the belt? and also, the blade was all the way down and it still was not cutting through the vinly. im 2 hours in and ready to throw the machine. any help is greatly appreciated.

which machine do you have - will help in people giving ideas on the belt - pictures are also very helpful

and in the future, this is how you set the blade depth. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 3

Good morning, take a deep breath.

First of all, your machine is under warranty, and indeed may be defective, and require return for replacement. "Throwing it away" is not really a good course of action.

Secondly, what level of mechanical ability you possess? Because there could be things you'll be able to do (with a phillips screwdriver in hand). Getting the belt back on is relatively simple, but you'll have to start removing parts of the unit (end covers and carriage cover)

Thirdly, it's possible that the blade is in the wrong position in the carriage holder -- it should be in the rear clamp hole. And don't forget to remove the protective masking tape from the slick surface of the cutting strip (the white plastic strip across the cutting path).

Let's get you calmed down, and go along with a methodical troubleshooting process, and hopefully things will work out OK so you don't have to abandon the unit !!!

• Like 1

I have the blade depth down. I adjusted and adjusted for a while and ran several tests. Its cutting. Just not deep enough even when its as low as it will go.

I am pretty great with a screw driver and could probably do it myself. Is there a link to a video anyone can refer me to?

The blade should be just barely visible, in fact it's going to be almost 100% INSIDE (up) into the holder, with just a glint peeking out.

You are describing extending it outwards a lot, and that's incorrect.

Anyway, let's address the belt for now and return to the blade and how it's (not) cutting later.

Take off the cover of the machine on the right-hand side.

The belt needs to be returned into alignment with the motor & pulley.

Then, with the cover of the carriage removed, hook it back onto pins in the carriage head.

(You may need to also remove the left-hand cover, if the belt has jumped the tensioner)

Was the blade holder down all the way in the holder? Are you in the right hole one is for the blade the other for a plotter pen. If your blade is out that much you are doing damage to the machine......follow the instructions mz Skeeter gave above. The blade is not supposed to cut anything but the vinyl that is only 3 mill for calandered vinyl. Read the newbie manual and once your machine is back together you will be better prepared to begin cutting.

there is only one holder on my machine. and the holder is placed down all the way. ill get this belt back on then show you the blade holder and blade. 

Ok I've got the belt back on. And there is only one place for my cutter to go. The other housing came with the pen plotter in it. So I'm assuming it's the housing for the cutter.

Here is a photo. I've followed the instructions from the uscutter post about the blade and it's still not working. The reason I had the blade all the way down in the first place was to see if it would cut through the vinyl at all. And it never did. It's about as low as a credit card is thick like the post said to do and it's not cutting. Any ideas where to go next with it?

Is the carriage head moving up and down? 

If your using a credit card to set your blade,, you are way , way too much.   Look at post #5 above.  That is the correct way to set your blade depth.

Shouldn't that shoulder part sitting on top of the holder be in the slot in the holder and not on top?

That is what I was just looking at.  I went to the carriage arm parts on the UScutter website.  There is a slot in the carriage arm, that the blade holder ring is supposed to go into.  Then locked down.   Looks like the blade holder ring is on top of it.  No way the blade could reach the vinyl.

You may want to back that blade up a bit after you get the holder in the right spot.

Ok I tried that. I'll attack a pix. The ring will not go into it. It's too tall. In the pic the bottom is touching the base of the machine. And the housing won't even go into the base to close. I am feeling like an idiot. All his should be working. Is it possible they have sent me the wrong housing for the machine?

Also the blade is cutting. I can see the star with a square around it when I run a test. But it's Barely a scratch in the vinyl. Not cutting through at all.

post-84613-0-38410200-1390707501_thumb.j

I've been cutting vinyl for years. And this new machine has me stumped. The instruction manual that came with is not very detailed in help.

As well as making sure the cutter is turned on.when putting the blade holder in, as Slice pointed out....  make sure the white wheels of the carriage head are firmly in the track.  And can move freely along the track.

I've tried off and on. Either way doesn't work. The housing black part is too tall to fit the ring down in the groove. The ring has to be on top. And its cutting but not through the vinyl.

That looks about the same style as a sc cutter. That ring should fit in the groove with no problem.

yes i have tried both on and off. the holder for the housing moves up and down. for during cutting and its in the up position. im at a loss. cant figure it out.