Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Anyone doing rhinestones?

Sandy Jo (AKA MonkeyMeMe) of Rhinestone Templates has setup a new Facebook page specifically for sharing free Rhinestone and HPV/Mixed Media designs.  It is not a public group, you'll need to request to join it, but so far there have been some excellent free items posted.

The link to the Facebook group is here.

The rules are fairly simple: "The Freebies posted here are for use on Garments and products you sell.  They cannot be used to resell, or trade, or give away, or sell the file as a download,

You can also not sell Transfers or Templates of the Freebies."

I think we need a Rhinestone sub-forum here (and a Dye Sub sub-forum) to talk about the other products that US Cutter offers that don't get as much attention as the vinyl products do...

Here's some examples of free designs that have been posted so far:

post-24492-0-99598300-1382484558_thumb.j

post-24492-0-30422600-1382484557_thumb.j

post-24492-0-25918300-1382484558_thumb.j

post-24492-0-69644700-1382484556_thumb.j

I'm surprised more people haven't posted about doing rhinestones. Seems to be gaining popularity daily.

i thought about getting it just for my daughter to play around with it ..

how much does it cost to get started?

We made an area for them at VF but they seem to like the newest fb groups and the winpcsign2010 forums as thier favorite hangouts - mainly like minded people there with cricuts and sillouettes.   

Makes sense. Like minds do tend to congregate. That explains most of us on here.

• Like 1

They accepted my request and hey, you just click on "download".....LOL I did not know you could do that on facebook.  Learn something new everyday.  Any way, found one I liked that I know a family member would love (she kicked cancer in the teeth!) so I can't wait to surprise her with it!

• Like 3

i thought about getting it just for my daughter to play around with it ..

how much does it cost to get started?

Depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go. You'll need template material, stones, a brush and high temp app tape - at a minimum - to cut other people's templates and use them.

To create your own designs you'll need rhinestone software - there are macros you can buy for Corel Draw and/or stand alone software. SCALP will do simple rhinestone designs, WinPC Sign is very popular, and there are others as well.

• Like 1

Ahh, the rabbit hole. Fell in there with sublimation and still can't find my way out.

Depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go. You'll need template material, stones, a brush and high temp app tape - at a minimum - to cut other people's templates and use them.

To create your own designs you'll need rhinestone software - there are macros you can buy for Corel Draw and/or stand alone software. SCALP will do simple rhinestone designs, WinPC Sign is very popular, and there are others as well.

I forgot to add that many sites sell pre-cut templates so all you really need is stones, brush and tape (and heat press, of course) and some sites will even sell you the taped stone designs ready to press - Sandy Jo will even do custom designs as templates or pre-stoned - for a price.

I forgot to add that many sites sell pre-cut templates so all you really need is stones, brush and tape (and heat press, of course) and some sites will even sell you the taped stone designs ready to press - Sandy Jo will even do custom designs as templates or pre-stoned - for a price.

she also has a stone setting machine that can put them on denser than you can do with a template

post-2742-0-13829700-1382548548_thumb.jp

Ive done one rhinestone job and that will stay as the number forever.  I know its good money but with my add ill just stick to screenprint and signs and sublimation.  I dont have the patience for it.

it's a girl thing lol

Not necessarily, it's not for impatient men that's for sure, but I'm a lot more patient than i was 20-30 years ago.

• Like 1

it's a girl thing lol

If by that you mean that your target demographic is primarily female, then that is true.   I'd say that roughly 80% of all of the custom work I do is for female customers, so offering additional products that appeal to that demographic is in my best interest.

• Like 3

it's a girl thing lol

Says that while ordering the stuff. Fess up.

• Like 1

I added a few to the finished file to fill in the empty spots on the edge

see, if you can be patient for doing that you can do stones, 'Ain't much difference, we sell 99.99% to women and kids, lots and lots of glitter, we cut hundreds of yards of the stuff during our busy season.

Patient sure. Hit cut and come back 10 minutes later. Weeds in 10 seconds at most. ;D  Thinking about trying stones after the new year.

So i jumped into the stone thing.. bought my corel macro tonight and a starter kit.. 

my 5 year old daughter is going to love this !!!

• Like 2