Sign in to follow this  
karkess

Install pricing

So, I'm starting to get some auto sign and decal business.  And everyone wants me to install, which I don't have a problem with, but than the question arises.  What to charge?  My reasoning is this.  If the customer installs and messes it up, he comes back to me and I charge him again for another sign.  If I mess it up, I cut another and eat the loss.  So for an easy formula, I was thinking of charging half the price the sign for install so per everyone's formula (L+W/2).  Signs I just did 12" x 17" would equal to $14.50 and I would charge an additional $7.25 per sign to install.

My reasoning for this is if I charge too much for install they can take the chance of messing it up and buying more signs a couple times over before they reach my install fees and will play those odds and put me out extra money.

Am I even close in my reasoning?

If it's a car decal or a small sticker on their window I smile and sat no problem. If I screw it up being a professional how can I expect them to do any better.

• Like 1

I don't charge really for installs since i do it out of my home, and have no over head ..

But depending on the job i might add a $20 charge for installs depends how long it really takes me ..

• Like 1

I don't charge really for installs since i do it out of my home, and have no over head ..

But depending on the job i might add a $20 charge for installs depends how long it really takes me ..

while I understand where you are coming from, isn't your time and expertise/experience worth something?
  • Like 2

I think is a wide open thing.

If you have to install on a grimed up truck that you have to clean (they said it was good to go) then you have to work from there.

An install that is on a clean window for store or something like that...

It goes on and on.

Solid quote is very hard to judge.

• Like 1

I think is a wide open thing.

If you have to install on a grimed up truck that you have to clean (they said it was good to go) then you have to work from there.

An install that is on a clean window for store or something like that...

It goes on and on.

Solid quote is very hard to judge.

I had somebody drop off a 14' box van that was supposed to be clean. Locked up int the parking lot with no keys and I had to "wash" it with windex and paper towels. They cam back later that day and we had a nice conversation about why I charged an extra $150 and what their definition of clean was. Van hadn't seem soapy water in years

Jay i did a bus for a daycare and i pressure washed it then hand washed it before i lettered it. I belive they were more impressed with the thing being clean then the lettering and did not whimper a bit when i gave them the $650.00 invoice.

• Like 1

I wish I'd had the keys, car wash was a block and a half away. But no way to get water to where they parked it. I seriously considered leaving it be and when they came back tell them to reschedule when they had time to wash it. That van was just nasty. Almost as bad as the pic I posted of my Pinto.

I figure out how many hours an install will take roughly and multiply that by shop rate and there is what I charge.  Unless its a really really good customer that just wants a quick sticker on there vehicle then I just put it on and dont charge them.  That keeps the word of mouth going and in a positive way.  For vehicles I tell them that they need to be clean and washed and if its badly dirty I call them and tell them it will be an extra charge of x amount, they can reschedule the install or pay the extra