Sign in to follow this  
karkess

Vinyl tracking

What technique is everyone using to keep their vinyl aligned properly?  I line my vinyl up with the mark on the back and the corresponding mark in the front and then lock it down.  But, it still off tracks more than I would like to see.  I'm sure there is a better way.

Is your cutter on a stand? If so I feed the vinyl through the cutter then hold the roll to the rollers with `1 hand and use the other hand to take the slack up on the output of the cutter. Then I let go of the roll and lock the pinchroller down.

I always chech and readjust if necessary before actually cutting.

With my SC i always have to push the right side "up" some after aligning front and back marks. From trial and error. Liine it up on the marks and feed it through, if it runs to the left, push the left up, if it runs to the right, pull the left down. Do it in small increments or youll be chasing it all day. There is a video of this on USCutters site somewhere in the knowledge base. I found it when I first started.

on my mh 871 i load my vinyl , lock down, then move my blade to the endge of the vinyl, press the origin button, then press the fwd/feed button i feed it about a foot or two and make sure it dont move away from the vinyl or twards. unless im cutting longer like 3 or 4 feet, then will feed that much and make sure it stays on track with the blade, then I know its straight. 
That works great for me. then i know it will stay straight. So far so good.

I have the SC.  I just line it up by sight... then manually feed about to feet through and watch how it tracks.  If not straight, I make an adjustment, recheck and do again.  I do this as many times as it takes to be straight.  Some time I nail it on the first attempt, sometimes the 3rd.  Also, I recheck after every job.  Especially if my job already is pushing the edge limits of my vinyl.

Didi you end up keeping the graphtec or selling? I know it was a biggin'

I have a problem with this with my MH.. all  the time.. That is why i only cut 22 inches wide most of the time i give it a inch on each side to go out of wack as you would say..

It's still sitting here Jay....in full working order I might add.  Thinking about selling.... thinking about keeping..... I don't know.  Just sitting here along with my embroidery machine.  Since I bought the embroidery machine I have been swamped and no time to learn of play.

That's ok I'm broke now anyways. By the time you decide maybe ill have some money again.