aaedward

First Vinyl Cut with Cutter

Same here. I use the same setting as I use for 651 Oracal and no problems.

• Like 1

I have a US Cutter SC.  I haven't cut anything with it yet.  So what setting do you use for regular vinyl too?

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

setting are very subjecive, even with the same model machine it can be different so knowing how to properly set your blade and pressure is important - you really can't just take someone elses setting and have it always be right

• Like 1

I just received my new US Cutter SC and I need some help!  :o)  I've been making small projects using a Cricut for many years.  My latest job was a set of Cornhole boards so I decided it was time to upgrade and put the Cricut to bed.  I've been using Sure Cuts Alot for years so the SC running with SCAL Pro was a win/win!  Unfortunately, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. 

Can someone answer a few questions for me?

First, Can I use 12 X 12 sheets of vinyl?  All of the demos I'm watching show large rolls of vinyl.  I guess building up my stock of vinyl rolls is something I can work toward, however, I have tons of sheets and hate for those to go to waste.  I've tested a few cuts using 12 X 12 sheets and it seems to do well with small cuts but when I try to cut something that takes up most of the 12X12 space, the vinyl gets all screwy and gets out of alignment.

Second, Can I cut cardstock?  I rarely do, but I would like to keep this option.  Again, the cardstock is 12 X 12. 

I saw mention of a Carrier or something like that but I didn't know if that could be used for the SC models and/or if that would even help in keeping the vinyl/cardstock lined up.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.  (I don't like feeling like a small fish in a large pond and right now that's how I'm feeling)

Thanks in advance!

justBrenda

you should have no problems using the 12x12 in the new cutter - cardstock you would have to use a carrier so you don't mess up the cutting strip

You can put the 12x12 sheets on a carrier as well and cut closer to the edges.

You can put the 12x12 sheets on a carrier as well and cut closer to the edges.

I use a carrier for cutting smaller pieces of vinyl and heat transfer vinyl and add scrap vinyl on it where the cutter rollers ride. if you don't, the rollers get sticky from the adhesive transfered from the carrier.

• Like 1

Thank you all! I know I will get this because I've been cutting for many years. I guess I was feeling like a Pro with my Cricut but now I'm back to amateur status with this Beast! :o)