Coaster36

Another how would you handle this...

Need the opinion from some of the professionals about this one. 

I have this customer that damn near paid for my graphtec. He owns a cab company and I lettered 11 of his cars.  When I did his last car he mentioned he would want window perf on the back window for advertising. He hasn't spoke to me in about 2 months until this morning, he emailed me and told me the window perf had been printed and asked how much for me to install it.  Now I'm not feeling good about it. For one I've never installed window perf or anything that large either. It wouldn't be a problem if it was vinyl, I would just make another one. Now I would have to go to his printer and order another one and I would have to pay normal prices. 

If you would take the job how much would you charge for just installing window perf on the back window of a crown vic?

I wouldn't touch the job for the reasons stated. The fact that he went elsewhere for the window perfs makes me wonder why. When you answer that question, you will know what to do.

greenie

Do you have a printer? If not does he know that you dont have one? That may be why he had it printed elsewhere. 

You got a lot of work from him, if you dont do this job you may never hear from him again. 

I would do the job but explain to him that I will not guarantee anything because I did not supply the perf. I would also let him know that I could have supplied it for him at a good price (sub it out if you dont have a printer) and next time to call me first. 

As far as not wanting to do the job because you never did perf before all I can say is go for it! You have to learn sooner or later. Perf is very easy to work with and if you are that uncomfortable do a wet install. 

Window perfs are simple installs, they can go on wet, and you should consider getting a helper for the first one.

Im not worried that I didn't get the print job, He knew I didn't have a printer for one and second, the advertisements that are going on the cars are from his money man who owns a chain of dominos and Im sure he already has a print house that can do the window perf. I just don't know why they didn't do the install as well. 

Crown Vics have a pretty good bit of curvature to the glass. I would think you may have to shrink at the corners with a heat gun. I have have done a lot of Crown's but never full coverage like perf. although I have done chrome and it doesn't like to make the curve very well.

If it was something my gut just absolutely said "not ready for it", Id pass on the install since it was someone elses work. Until I got more practice with it. Ive turned down a job or 2 that I just didnt have a good feeling for, if it had a large possibility of being an expensive oops. Something not so damaging to the pocket, Id go for it, but this sounds like it could hurt pretty good if it goes wrong.

Or this could be a win win for all parties. What's wrong with telling him you are not familar with his product (after looking at it) and offering to do one as a trial at an agreed upon price to see if it meets the satisfaction of all parties involved before commiting to all?

Thats exactly what I told him. I offered to the first car for free and then I would install the rest for $50 a piece. We'll see what he says.

I am curious all - I use frogjuice on my perfs and do them all dry with NO problem -how do you get bubbles with a substance filled with holes?  if it is clear lam (which I can't stand looking thru) if you do wet how do you get the water out of the areas where the holes are that are covered with lam?  it seems it would have to trap water somewhat

I was thinking more of tunnels of excess material in the corner than bubbles. On the issues of bug juice do you apply before install or after? If after how bad is removal where it fills the holes?

frog juice is applied before you put the graphic on and doesn't fill the holes - you can't see crap when it rains but the rest of the time the vision is clear.  on a car you have to deal with the angle of the holes also reducing visibility 

Remember that hole on and angle is no longer like looking out of a circle

post-2742-0-67250300-1378858992_thumb.jp

You cleared up my question about the frog juice, in my mind I was picturing having to razor blade the whole glass clean upon removal but being applied off the car solves that. Still worried about tunneling in the corners especially if you're not highly skilled with these types of installs, they still catch me off guard once in awhile and I do club logos on Crowns all the time.

• Like 1