karkess

Which way to go?

This is my first post, I've been lurking a while trying to absorb some info and not owning a cutter yet, I haven't really had anything to add to any discussions.  My questions are:

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a cutter, and have about $750 to spend.  I like the idea of the starter package offered by US that's about $724, but the cutter (24" SC) seems small.  I am planning on cutting everything from small decals to auto graphics, signs and large wall decals.  How big of a cutter is big enough?  And is a package deal the way to go?  Or should I concentrate on a machine and just pick up tools as I go?  What would be considered the minimal list of necessary items to start cutting vinyl? I'll take a breath now and give the experienced people a chance to answer.

Thanks

Had bigger cutters and settled back on a 24" - don't think I would ever have anything bigger than a 30" though - vinyl bigger than that is very limited in variety.   on the starter package that is only a deal for the seller.   greenstar is mainly used by people to learn on very few actually would sell it . . . .buy the cutter, oracal vinyl good app tape, squeegees, xacto and go to town

ps if doing auto body graphics like stripes go with at least a 751 - 651 is ok for glass but 751 or higher for body graphics

I have a 24" and a 30" cutter. I actually use the 30" for tshirt transfers because of the laser alignment. In 5 years I've only had 2 jobs go bigger than the 24" could handle. Not a fan of starter kits myself. Squeegee's, knife, decent vinyl (oracal) and paper application tape should get you going.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm definitely leaning towards not getting a starter kit, but what about software or clip art?  Is that necessary or do you just find stuff online as dingbats or font types?

This is the kit I started with last year

http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-Vinyl-Cutter-BUNDLE-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-/281010926495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416d8e739f

It has paid itself off times over. I would suggest it even with the greenstar vinyl to use as "practice" vinyl to get used to it and not worry about ruining good vinyl while you learn the ins and outs of cutting and working with images to cut. Not to mention it comes with just about everything else you need to get started

^^^^^Awesome!!!  That is exactly what I was looking for.  I knew I wanted bigger than 24" just in case, but the price on the USCutter website was right at my threshold.  The only question now is do I buy the indoor or outdoor Oracal starter packs.  I already have people who want work done, even though I haven't cut a single piece of vinyl.  Thanks!

Each vinyl has a purpose. You buy for what your purpose is. BUT like I said, Id do a lot of practicing before taking orders and cutting on good vinyl if you got greenstar laying around. Otherwise I hope your anger management is up to par being on a budget like you are.

• Like 1

Thanks Monkey.  I plan on turning that greenstar vinyl into land fill fodder before I start doing anything for anyone.  I just hope I can get a grasp of it before I run out of the cheap stuff.  How much good is plotting with a pen first?  Is it worth buying the paper?

I use Newsprint drawing paper. Not rolls of paper (waste of money IMO). I use the pen quite a bit when unsure how a new complex image will cut, or If I try to cut an image and have issues with it. That way I only wasted 1 piece of vinyl and can use pen to figure issue out at very minimal cost to me

Hi, just be aware of the limitation of app.tape widths in that starter pack --- 6" and 12"

Also, each of those rolls of vinyl is only 15' long.

When ordering consumable materials for a 34" cutter, think in terms of 30" widths.

I'm constantly designing with 28" wide workspace (I give myself one inch of leeway margin on both sides when cutting 30" vinyl)

Suggestion --  download and install and play around with SignBlazer Elements today and compare it to SCAL trial version (also downloadable) to see which you prefer.

I have the The SC 34, and honestly I could have gone with the smaller one.  I havent cut anything that big as of yet.  I guess its better to have the bigger size then get stuck later.  I really like the SC and it has done everything Ihave asked it to.

Now with the Greenstar, has anyone actually had bad experiences with it.  I have had a decal on my car window for about three years that was made with greenstar and it still looks the same as the day I put it on.

I dont have much experience in signage.  How would an inside application or using Greenstar on short term banners be?  I wouldnt buy it but since I have a box full of it there must be something profitable to do with it.

I had a couple bad experiences with Greenstar on vehicle glass. First just wouldn't bond properly so I removed recut in Oracal and no more problem. Second was fading after only a few months.

Well that answered my next question about if that Greenstar was something worth trying to save and perhaps make a couple bucks off, or just use it for test fodder.

Well that answered my next question about if that Greenstar was something worth trying to save and perhaps make a couple bucks off, or just use it for test fodder.

difference in just about any decal you cut will be a couple of pennies between greenstar and oracal - why bother risking it for a penny or two

I tried a house brand from alpine sign supply in lansing michigan because it was a very cool argent silver like used on the 65 mustang chrome parts for contrast - it was crap and I ended up throwing most of it away cause I wouldn't sell it - seen a piece of it the other day on the rack and not sure why I still have it

^^^Just realized your from Mi.  I'm in the burbs of Detroit.  Where do you get your vinyl from?  Locally? or best to order online?  I know there's a place in Plymouth (About 15 mins. from me)  I've seen someone talking about on the boards.

I agree with what has been said so far. I originally bought a 48" cutter thinking I would need it and other than an occasional 30" roll I almost never need the extra width. My new cutter is 30". I have used the Green Star for temporary signage that won't be up very long and some for indoor wall graphics but like most of the rest I end up going with at least Oracal 651 (and 751 for vehicles and glass). It costs a little more but not that much. The market has enough room for the cost, you will have more in labor than materials usually so a few extra on the vinyl is nothing. 

I bought a starter kit when I started but there is a lot there that is just junk. You are going to want a good cutting mat and a decent straight edge. I have a 40" long cutter/ruler but I end up using a see through 24" craft ruler for a lot of the trimming after app tape. I have found that if I take a few extra minutes after cutting and applying the app tape to trim nice and consistent to the design it is easier to orientate on whatever I am placing the vinyl on and everything seems to go smoother. I ended up buying some good 3M squeegees at the local vinyl supply house that are better than the cheap ones you get in the starter kit. I give the cheap ones out to self installers. 

Lastly my advice is don't get too worried about stocking up on a bunch of vinyl colors. You will use tons of black and white and the rest will be very specific to the job. I brought in a bunch of rolls of what I assumed I would be using and several are still sitting there and are getting old now. Also I have had better luck with quality app tape than the cheap stuff. I keep a roll of 24", 15", 12" and 10". You can layer that if you must but it can cause bubbles at that lap joint when installing. 

Oh I almost forgot. For small one off jobs I have set up an account with a couple local supply houses that sell cast vinyl by the yard so I can just buy enough for the job and can get it same day. You may have to have a business license or resellers permit to get an account set up though. 

Over by the Bid D you have lots of choices - wensco, advantage, etc but none will beat usc price with shipping for oracal.  on coro etc the locals are great as shipping will kill you on big sheets.

Did you get in on any of kid rocks $20 concerts?

They're more like the big "B" now a days.  But no I didn't go to Kid Rock.  Kind of hard to get a hold of tickets. 

BTW, I want to thank everyone for sharing your knowledge.  I've been a member of many forums over the years, but none with people so willing to help a noob.  Speaks volumes!

This is the kit I started with last year

http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-Vinyl-Cutter-BUNDLE-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-/281010926495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416d8e739f

It has paid itself off times over. I would suggest it even with the greenstar vinyl to use as "practice" vinyl to get used to it and not worry about ruining good vinyl while you learn the ins and outs of cutting and working with images to cut. Not to mention it comes with just about everything else you need to get started

I'm actually looking at that kit right now! I'm saving up a little more money to get it but I'm for sure getting that one!

Next question.  Software?  I know everyone has their preferences and I'm not new to design software, I know my way around Photoshop and have Illustrator, but, and this might be a loaded question, what is the hands down the best, easiest to use and most powerful software?  Hope this doesn't cause virtual fist fights.  Kind of like asking who's got the best dog or car.

Flexisignpro.  it is also expensive.   You can also purchase rebranded versions of it, with out the RIP for printing.