gotta say I haven't seen those external drying fans since back when i had the fj series - and they was old then

if I had the 6 grand to gamble with I would just buy another used roland and roll the dice

it was a matter of inadequate internal heaters and the older ink not outgassing a quickly I think

I swear I almost talked myself into this mess a couple times and either spent the money on something else or knocked some sense into myself at the last minute.

I swear I almost talked myself into this mess a couple times and either spent the money on something else or knocked some sense into myself at the last minute.

I feel your pain, brudda.

Ditto.

Have you guys ever checked out http://www.alibaba.com/ ? They have printers, cutters, and all kinds of other goodies on there. Lots of Big brand names we like but I am pretty sure it's the same deal as you were talking about. Also I am pretty sure this is the source for the two main cutter websites lol

The company listing them on ebay has their listing on just about every direct buy site I clicked on but in all fairness I didn't think to look at alibaba.

I thought about a printer but figured just to sub out my printing and mark it up a little. The last printing I got done I was not crazy about the quality though. I just droped $20,000 in remodeling my house ( I have let mine go for years while working on other peoples homes ) and still have another $10,000 or so by the time I build new cabinets and redo the kitchen and a couple other things the little lady wants. Were trying to get things up to par before I retire or get to damn old to do any thing which ever comes first.

Dan, I think I would always order a small item first from any printer to see the quality first hand before a big order.

On the import printer - funny no one of the thousands here have spoke up about having one and very few tell us about their printers, good or bad experiences,  we usually Hear that they bought a used printer and look for advice and then very little afterwards.  About 3 years ago on a thrip to New Orleans I saw a lot of faded poorly done graphics I am guessing were done with 3erd party inks, on some off brand rip and definately non laminated as I have had non lam stuff on the side of my truck look good for 3 years - that stuff looked like it was maybe 6 months old and faded (not all but a lot).  Quality of ink, media and maint of the machine plays a big part in the final product

What we need to do is design our own printer, ha ha. Dakota is there any possible way to use an inkjet printer on a paper and then laminate it? could posibly use an adhesive to then attach the paper to a sign or coro. I don't need anything like this but was just wondering if it is possible? The large format inkjets are probably pretty pricey anyway, that plus the cost of paper and adhesive would most likely be about the same as vinyl anyway.

What we need to do is design our own printer, ha ha. Dakota is there any possible way to use an inkjet printer on a paper and then laminate it? could posibly use an adhesive to then attach the paper to a sign or coro. I don't need anything like this but was just wondering if it is possible? The large format inkjets are probably pretty pricey anyway, that plus the cost of paper and adhesive would most likely be about the same as vinyl anyway.

Yes.  I have done this.  It works, and actually looks pretty good, but unless you add a really big margin to your laminate, you'll have to worry about rain and humidity getting underneath and ruining it.  The time I did it, it was for a gag gift and long term durability wasn't a huge issue.

I've since upgraded to using Papilio inkjet printable vinyl, which I then laminate with Oraguard laminate and it has held up really well.  I haven't done anything that is outdoors and exposed to sunlight, so I don't know how well it will compare to something done with a "real" vinyl printer (my guess - not as well), but the Oraguard is a UV blocker and should keep it looking good for a while...